Options

Programming- Network Engineers

Hello,

Should net-engineers have programming experience? I would like to learn but don't know where to begin. I hear alot about Ruby, shell script,and python, but which would be beneficial to a network engineer?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cdad2000 wrote: »
    Hello,

Should net-engineers have programming experience? I would like to learn but don't know where to begin. I hear alot about Ruby, shell script,and python, but which would be beneficial to a network engineer?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but my assumptions would be: PowerShell, Batch, and SQL.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Depends on what type of equipment you want to work with and what you foresee your role to be with that equipment.

If you are using the Cisco IOS, you can cook some things up with TCL.

If you're using an open source implementation (Vyatta, xorp, quagga, etc.) on a GNU/Linux system, you can use whatever you please. If you're working with Linux systems exclusively and really want to understand how they work, C would also be good to learn.

No matter what you're supporting, if you just want a general purpose scripting language, perl and bash (or other shells) are simple, powerful, and can be used in almost any environment. Python is a good choice too. Less familiar with ruby. If you are working on or with Windows systems, veritas_libertas's suggestions of PowerShell and Windows batch are also good recommendations.
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thanks, I appreciate the break-down. I'm spending a huge amount of time on cisco IOS, so TLC will be a good place to start.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cdad2000 wrote: »
    Thanks, I appreciate the break-down. I'm spending a huge amount of time on cisco IOS, so TLC will be a good place to start.

my scripting language is text on notepad icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    it all depends on your environment. I don't touch windows boxen anymore, so my scripts generally are of the bash shell or perl variety
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264