Network Security Engineers/Techs/Admins

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
I decided to put this thread in here instead of the InfoSec location due to the fact that I think I will get wider responses here. I was having a discussion with a friend of mine and I am trying to see whether or not he is correct.

Anyway this question is for all Network Security Engineers/Techs/Admins etc. I would like to know a couple of things about you.

A: How long you have been working in the field (IT)
B: How long have you been working in InfoSec?
C: What InfoSec certs you have?
D: How did you get into InfoSec?

Thanks,

knwminus

Comments

• L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    A. Total time is about 6-7 years in the field. I worked as a computer tech when I was just graduating high school, moved on to a systems administrator role (where I got my first taste of security). Worked at various places with differing roles after that.

B. Full time Infosec has been about 7 months. Most positions I have had dealt with infosec in one way or another. I had all ready gained experience with Cisco PIX/ASA, several other hardware/software firewalls, IDS, patch management, network traffic anlysis, security testing, and some computer forensics.

C. The only true infosec cert i have is Sec+. I am working on GCIA and OSCP though.

D. Experience got me where I am. I was initially hired to be a Cisco systems engineer until someone else saw my resume. They told the company to hire me to do infosec, and here I am.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A: How long you have been working in the field (IT) 9 years or so
    B: How long have you been working in InfoSec? 7 years it just never had a fancy name.
    C: What InfoSec certs you have? Of the most popular ones gpen and cissp both within the last 6 mths. Only to have them not because they would help my career in any way.
    D: How did you get into InfoSec? InfoSec is IT just a natural progression for those who want to move into that side of it. You prove your worth in the first few years and you'll get the chance to do whatever you like in most cases. The company has to know you undrstand there technology before they pay you to defend it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A. 4.5 years in a full-time capacity, 7.5 loosely.
    B. 5 months full-time, but it's always been at the core of what I've done.
    C. Security+, CEH, CWSP, MCSE: S are probably the ones that fit in that category best.
    D. Networking (no pun intended)
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A: How long you have been working in the field (IT): Around 11 years

B: How long have you been working in InfoSec?: 7 years

C: What InfoSec certs you have? CISSP, Security+, Plan on taking the CISA in June.

D: How did you get into InfoSec? By accident. As a sys admin nobody really thought about security, the place of employment did not even have a security policy in place. So I stepped up and did it myself by getting some books from Amazon and Word Document templates online and went to town. From there since I had "official-lol" security experience got the next job which was a full time Security Analyst position and moved on from there.