Windows 7 XP Mode and Multy Users

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am setting up a Field Computer for a Department at work. The Laptop is running Windows 7 x64 and will have XP Mode because a few of their programs wont run properly in Windows 7.

I already have everything running in XP Mode for one of my users but I was wondering if their was a way to have any user that logs into this machine use the same XP Mode VM so that I dont have to modify every account when they ask me to install something new.

Comments

• qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just found these instructions but now the problem is that I would have to be there everytime a new user logs into this machine. How would I go about scripting this in Batch or maybe in VBS?

If you want to use the same XP virtual machine on every user account, do this:
    • Create XP Mode virtual machine on host's main user account (install Virtual PC & XP Mode, run XP Mode setup)
    • Close XP Mode (shut down or hibernate)
    • Login to another user account
    • Go to C:\Users\Current_User_Account_Name\Virtual Machines
    • Click Create virtual machine
    • In Add a virtual hard disk dialog, choose Use an existing virtual hard disk
    • Browse to C:\Users\Main_User_Account_Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines
    • Choose Windows XP Mode.vhd, click Open
    (AppData is a hidden folder, so you have to first enable Show hidden files and folders in Folder Options)

Doing this, the current user's XP Mode does not create an invididual virtual hard disk for XP Mode. Instead it now uses the main user's XP Mode vhd.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    There are lots of reasons why applications will not run in Win7 and lots of ways to fix them, with virtualization being a last resort. Sometimes, though, virtualization is the only way. XP Mode is not intended for an enterprise deployment so you need to look at MED-V, a component of the Desktop Optimization Pack. MED-V is designed to be centrally deployed and administered so you have greater control over the virtual environment.

XP Mode vs. Med-V - Springboard Series Blog - The Windows Blog
    The MED-V Team Blog
    Microsoft Windows Enterprise: Improving Virtual PCs with Med-V
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    There are lots of reasons why applications will not run in Win7 and lots of ways to fix them, with virtualization being a last resort. Sometimes, though, virtualization is the only way. XP Mode is not intended for an enterprise deployment so you need to look at MED-V, a component of the Desktop Optimization Pack. MED-V is designed to be centrally deployed and administered so you have greater control over the virtual environment.

XP Mode vs. Med-V - Springboard Series Blog - The Windows Blog
    The MED-V Team Blog
    Microsoft Windows Enterprise: Improving Virtual PCs with Med-V

I looked at MED-V and it is interesting but my company will not pay for that because only I only need this on one laptop.

Is there a script that will mount the Virtual PC so that I dont have to manually link it to the existing XP Mode VHD?
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It may be possible to acheive this with Powershell.

I stumbled upon this with a quick google.

Virtual PC Guy's WebLog : Windows Virtual PC and PowerShell