System clock resetting after I installed a UPS.

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
Recently I attached a UPS to my system. Before I go to bed, I hit to power button on the UPS which cuts the power to the outlets (note up to now I always unplugged the computer before and have had no problems with the system time resetting so I don't think it's the CMOS battery.) When I power the system up the next day I noticed that the system time was reset, one time though it had the right time but it had 2011 for the year. I do have the computer and UPS connected by the USB cable so I can monitor the UPS status. Any ideas?

EDIT: The situation has become slightly more bizarre, when I turned off my computer and unplugged it to see if the clock would reset on me, when I went to plug it back in my computer just decided to boot up! The clock settings were retained though.

Comments

• hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    The reason your computer boots up when plugged in, is a BIOS setting that allows you to specify system behavior upon restoration of AC power. Not sure about the system clock resetting though. Obviously it's the UPS causing it.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »
    The reason your computer boots up when plugged in, is a BIOS setting that allows you to specify system behavior upon restoration of AC power. Not sure about the system clock resetting though. Obviously it's the UPS causing it.
    Ah thanks I forgot about that BIOS setting, I'll check out the BIOS setting, although it did not boot up every time that I plugged in the pc. Right now I have my computer plugged in directly to to wall so I'll see tomorrow what happens.
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    On some mini-ITX systems I used to work on, the system clock would reset if you tried turning on the system using a blown power brick (they used external power bricks, with internal, mini PSU adapters). Just some personal experience to throw out there. Not sure it really helps. lol
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Is this a good quality UPS or is it one where you shouldn't look too closely at the output?
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Is this a good quality UPS or is it one where you shouldn't look too closely at the output?
    It's a APC 550VA/330 Watt UPS Model number:BE550G. I just plugged in my computer and it still kept the time. When I had the computer plugged into the UPS and hit the power button on the UPS light would first blink then a relay would trigger, I wonder if that interfered with the BIOS. Perhaps I should just leave the UPS on although I'm a little concerned about having power run to my 5+ year old computer when it is off.