My IT techincal skills got hammered in the interview

So, I just arrived from a challenging interview, but I think I fought really well :)

There were two interviewers, both IT managers. I was surprised there wasn't anybody from HR to ask behavioral questions. There were no questions such as "tell me about yourself", weaknesses, strengths, and etc. It started and finished around system and network admin.

The scary thing was those specific questions that you were either wrong or right. So, questions on specific commands, port #'s, scenarios and etc. I'm getting nervous and waiting for a response. I think I did well, but hey it's not me who decides :)

One thing I re-learned is about being honest and clear; so if you haven't worked with a technology, tell the truth. They asked me questions about few technologies I hadn't worked with, and I simply answered "No". And I believe they liked the fact that I wasn't trying to go around the bushes. But I certainly told them I was willing and capable of learning new technologies.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That would have been a bit rough, hope you did ok in their eyes!

A few years ago I went for an interview for a Junior System Admin position, back then I had just started in IT and had minimal knowledge of server OS' and only some working knowledge of XP. But since I was prepping for my CCNA, I had a little more than basic networking skills. So these people start firing off question after question at me, and I am saying "I dont know", "No", "Sorry I dont have the skills to answer that". I think they asked me about 10-14 questions, I think I only answered about 3 (all of them to do with Cisco). But I was truthful and showed I had the enthusiasm. To my surprise I was offered the job. So maybe the people they offered the job to before me didnt take the offer, or they liked the enthusiasm, I'll never know.

So folks, it pays to say the truth. Dont fudge stuff, it will show sooner than later.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This just happened to me too yesterday, I don't know why they were asking such specific questions it was kinda scary. One person asked if I knew the command(s) to load modules into the linux kernel on the fly (this is for a jr level sys admin).

I'm sure that you did well though, and being honest with those types of questions is always key. I'm sure that you'll hear back good news soon.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Got hammered and hammered in the interview

Were you auditioning for pr0n?

Good luck!
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    dynamik wrote: »

Good luck!
    You're like one of these guys I know. Everything gets construed as sexual in some perverse way or another.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993

Good luck!

LOL! I just changed the title! I didn't know 'hammering' was a jargon in that industry!

By the way, I encountered cute chicks around the company, so another reason I want the job :)
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    hex_omega wrote: »
    You're like one of these guys I know. Everything gets construed as sexual in some perverse way or another.

Dynamic is known to think 'outside the box' and twist words :)
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    You got hammered, piped, reamed, pounded, etc etc.....
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This just happened to me too yesterday, I don't know why they were asking such specific questions it was kinda scary. One person asked if I knew the command(s) to load modules into the linux kernel on the fly (this is for a jr level sys admin).

I'm sure that you did well though, and being honest with those types of questions is always key. I'm sure that you'll hear back good news soon.

Knowing what modprobe is, is like technically like knowing how to load windows drivers in an OS. TECHNICALLY it is a jr level sysadmin question. I've never actually loaded modules into Linux so I know it isn't used much. But it is a part of the beginning teachings of any Linux cert.

Sorry to be one of those guys that comes in and picks a part a debatable subject but I just want to make sure that anyone else knows that if you are interviewing for any kind of linux admin job you should know this question.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    Knowing what modprobe is, is like technically like knowing how to load windows drivers in an OS. TECHNICALLY it is a jr level sysadmin question. I've never actually loaded modules into Linux so I know it isn't used much. But it is a part of the beginning teachings of any Linux cert.

Sorry to be one of those guys that comes in and picks a part a debatable subject but I just want to make sure that anyone else knows that if you are interviewing for any kind of linux admin job you should know this question.

I completely agree with you that it IS something that a Jr level position should know. However like you also mentioned you've never done it...and neither have I because there has never been the need. It was just a question that I wasn't expecting, although I did know the answer because I happen to be studying for 2 linux certs currently. Not to mention that if I was hiring a Jr level person for linux admin I probably wouldn't want them messing with my kernels right away until I could fully gauge their knowledge on the job. Don't you agree?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mishra wrote: »

That depends on your kernel. If you're using a monolithic kernel compiled without module support, then modprobe isn't going to do you much good :)
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940

Good luck!

No, he spent a little recreational time with YOUR MOM!

icon_lol.gif

(Gotta add to the google search results...)
    Good luck to all!
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I have to say I've been working with Red Hat for over 2 years, earned RHCT, and RHCE, and I've never had to compile a single program from source and I've never had to use modprobe (though I vaguely remember how it works). I've done just about everything a normal sysadmin for a ISP does and I've never had to do the above. Where are these places you're working where this is the norm?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    I've done just about everything a normal sysadmin for a ISP does and I've never had to do the above. Where are these places you're working where this is the norm?

Web host provider. Compiling from source was an everyday thing, because not everything is included in a package, and quite often what *is* included in a package is an older version than what the customer wants. Or they want modules for other software (apache, lighttpd) that they've modified that need to be custom compiled in.

Working with developers is a pain in the ass.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Or compiling from source because you're too impatient to wait for the latest updates to hit the repositories for your linux flavour of choice. I think it would do everyone some good to compile a kernel at least once in their linux life.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/