Options

Passed 70-646... what's next?

helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got my foot in the door for the MCITP:SA, now I'm moving forward but I can't decide which to do next; 642 or 640.... I know in the end it doesn't matter, but I'd rather not take the most difficult one next....

Thanks for any help!
A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3

Comments

• Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    helios wrote: »
    I've got my foot in the door for the MCITP:SA, now I'm moving forward but I can't decide which to do next; 642 or 640.... I know in the end it doesn't matter, but I'd rather not take the most difficult one next....

Thanks for any help!

I would say review the objectives and figure out which you'd be more comfortable with.. Active Directory? or the rest of 2008? Ip, dns, F&P and other infrastructure topics..

Personally, I went with 642, because A) I was less familiar with AD, and B) the book was half the size icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

What did you think of the 646 exam, on a difficulty scale, and topic coverage/depth? I'm watching the 646 TrainSignal video as I type this
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    I didn't find it too hard. To be honest, this was my 2nd attempt at it. First time 'round, I wasn't repared for the style of the exam and that spooked me a bit.

Also, some things in the MS Press book were either wrong or completely ommited from questions that were on the exam, so that was a bit frustrating. Otherwise it was alright.
  • Options

Also, some things in the MS Press book were either wrong or completely ommited from questions that were on the exam,

icon_surprised.gif great icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, it was equally as frustrating for me. Without breaking my NDA, I can say that you might want to put some additional study into WDS and WSUS...
  • Options
    Sorry, it was equally as frustrating for me. Without breaking my NDA, I can say that you might want to put some additional study into WDS and WSUS...

I figure after I'm done the book, as I prep for the exam, I'll go through the objectives for the exam and make sure I'm good on each topic.. you mean the 2 pages of WDS in the book isn't comprehensive? lol
  • Options
    Surprisingly not!

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    I didn't find it too hard. To be honest, this was my 2nd attempt at it. First time 'round, I wasn't repared for the style of the exam and that spooked me a bit.

What do you mean by the "style of the exam"?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I always get a bit of a chuckle out of people stressing the WDS stuff.

its one of my best topics so it never feels hard or less covered to me. :D
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Actually surprised you completed 70-646 without 642 and 640 first... While not essential, I believe it would have assisted having fundamental information on the 2008 suit before sitting that one.

Most people including myself did 640 then 642 which gives you a pretty good basis on Windows 2008 before doing 646. (I know 646 though is majority based around the SA role but I think you did it in a different order to what most would have)

Recommend though 83-640 and pray the virtual environments in the exam work successfully for you :)

However you want WDS - that's part of 643 (part of the EA, I am doing that at the moment)

WSUS is 642 based. So it would seem once you have your SA, you might need to consider heading to an EA as well.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    shon541 wrote: »
    What do you mean by the "style of the exam"?

It wasn't just a matter of 'How do you do X'

It was more, 'You need to do X, but also need to fulfill this additional conditions'

Took me for a bit of a loop