post-interview stress syndrom

The wait and uncertainty is not pleasant. It has been a couple of days I interviewed for a good job and so far it's all silence.

How long it took you to hear something after the interview?

It's not the world's end no matter what the outcome though :)

Comments

• CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    How long was it? If it's been a week or more, you can always call and ask if the interview process is still going on, or if the position has been filled. Try not to sound too "over-eager".
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I'd give it till over the weekend and maybe drop em a line Tuesday or Wednesday.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I try to not let the wait bother me anymore. Otherwise, I would be a nervous wreak!

Note:
    post-interview stress syndrom (PISS)
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    One of my biggest peeves with companies is managers being very communicative prior to the interview, then absolute silence after. For example, one place never called me back and refused to return my phone calls. I finally caught the guy by using someone else's phone; he sounded very surprised and said they had filled it already. Another example, I interviewed for a position 11 days ago. I followed up one week after and left a message; no return call. Another call two days later to the manager's mobile, and no return call. I got an *email* today saying they had chosen someone else.

It really bugs me that managers communicate so poorly with potential staff; to a prospective employee, I see them treating me so poorly and it makes me wonder how they treat their current staff.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    forkvoid wrote: »
    One of my biggest peeves with companies is managers being very communicative prior to the interview, then absolute silence after. For example, one place never called me back and refused to return my phone calls. I finally caught the guy by using someone else's phone; he sounded very surprised and said they had filled it already. Another example, I interviewed for a position 11 days ago. I followed up one week after and left a message; no return call. Another call two days later to the manager's mobile, and no return call. I got an *email* today saying they had chosen someone else.

It really bugs me that managers communicate so poorly with potential staff; to a prospective employee, I see them treating me so poorly and it makes me wonder how they treat their current staff.

I couldn't agree more. It surprises me companies emphasize the importance of communication and professionalism, but yet they fail to send at least an automatic message informing few who were interviewed.

Some argue companies don't have time, and that's selfish as if they value their own time, why don't they value the time a candidate spent to prepare and attend the interview and then left in uncertainty?

Not all companies are like that. Few days ago I got an email from a bank where I had applied informing me the position had been filled and that I should regularly visit their career site.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. It surprises me companies emphasize the importance of communication and professionalism, but yet they fail to send at least an automatic message informing few who were interviewed.

Some argue companies don't have time, and that's selfish as if they value their own time, why don't they value the time a candidate spent to prepare and attend the interview and then left in uncertainty?

Not all companies are like that. Few days ago I got an email from a bank where I had applied informing me the position had been filled and that I should regularly visit their career site.
    It's really lame to totally ignore candidates after the interview. There was actually a thread about this recently...
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/47964-not-calling-back-email-even-letter-norm-now-days.html
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    So what is the avg wait time? I had the best interview I have had last monday and friday has come and gone and I havent heard from them. HHRR manager gave me her card and said I was going to be closely watched for something... or something along those lines. I didnt even asked about the position because a friend told me what it was about...unreal that i spent almost 1.5hours in the interview and that didnt come up explicitly!!!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Full week without any contact = call back, unless you have additional information, like you know they are interviewing people untill a certain date and it hasnt at least been a few days past that date
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    Some companies will send an e-mail informing you that your qualifications did not match their needs, or they found somebody else etc........ Kudos to those recruiters who practice this. It's a much more professional way of conducting business.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hate the waiting game too but sometimes you can't help it. I interviewed Tues of this week and they seemed really eager to make a decision, but at the close of the interview they said that HR was out on vacation and I wouldn't hear back till sometime this coming up week.

On the flip side I also agree that companies not calling back is awful. I had similar experiences to everyone else where I were try to get back in touch and they would duck calls. I even had one company email me 5 months later out of the blue saying that the position had been filled. Really? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, that is the worst. i've emailed pplz and not gotten any response back. i mean, i know you didnt interview 50000000 pplz for this position, it was probably like 10 at the most, so it really shouldnt be an issue for you to send a simple email saying that i wasnt selected for the position. its even worse when you have multiple interviews at the same time, and waiting to get offers.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)