anyone got their hands on a nook?

Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
Now that the holiday rush is over and I can actually go into a store and pick one up if I so choose, I'm rather interested in the nook, particularly in it's PDF reading capabilities.

I like the device from being able to play with the demo model on display at my local Barnes and Noble, but they wouldn't let me load any PDF's on it to see how they handled, and that's really my biggest interest in buying one.

So if anyone has one, can you give me a straight up no-nonsense owners perspective?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I wasn't impressed at all with the unit in our store. I found it slow to respond, and left a ghosted image on the screen, making it too hard to read. Perhaps I read too quickly to appreciate the current level of technology, but after seeing the unit, I lost my interest in e-readers for quite some time.

(maybe the 2nd/3rd generation of the Nook will be vastly improved? It's a good start, but too much money for what it does right now).

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I need some kind of decent e-reader to haul around my massive collection of tech pdf's on, so that's my major concern with getting my hands on one. And I'd much prefer an e-ink reader because it is much easier on my eyes... I spend enough time staring at a backlit screen as it is.

but alright, let's take the nook requirement out of this - what can folks recommend for an e-ink reader with very good pdf support
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hear the kindles handle pdfs really well. The only issue is that I believe that the normal kindle is too small a screen for some of the tech books which forces you to buy the kindle dx....which just happens to be like $300 more expensive.

I'm curious too though because I could get a regular kindle for free, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got a Kindel DX about a month ago and love it. The cost was totally worth it. The wife has a smaller one as well, and she loves it. If you are doing tech PDFs you have to have a larger screen. DX is the way to go. I looked at the Sony eReaders and was less enthused.