cost to fix a cisco asa 5510?

Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
we have a 5510 with sec + license that went bad. it is now out of warranty and my company said i can have it if i want. my question would be does anyone know how much it costs to repair? i think it might be the power supply as it does not power on and has a amber light that wont go off.

thanks

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's a failed power supply you're looking at ~$150+shipping used or $250+shipping new. Part number is: ASA-180W-PWR-AC

I would take it off their hands as is and take it apart and do a quick visual check for any signs of failed components. Give the power supply a sniff, sometimes there will be that fried electronics smell if they failed but sometimes not.

If you weren't sure if it's the power supply or not then you might just consider taking the gamble and ordering a new power supply from CDW or a new or used one from another place where you can return it with few hassles (less a 15% restocking fee that may or may not be enforced at CDW depending on the rep). Even if you have to eat a restocking fee and return shipping on a new power supply, you could very likely list the ASA on ebay as-is (clearly defined that it's unable to power) and still make back your money and then some. If the power supply fixes it, great - you have a nice ASA that you could resell for a healthy profit and put the money towards other gear to study with or keep it if you desire to train on it (I would sell it and if you wanted to train on an ASA, pickup a cheaper 5505).
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    If its the status led thats amber your quite correct it means the power diagnostics have failed.

Cisco ASA 5500 Getting Started Guide, 8.0 - Installing the ASA 5500, ASA 5510, ASA 5520, and ASA 5540 [Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances] - Cisco Systems

Id take it and get it repaired icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys. im probably just going to sell is as i already have a 5505 here at home.
  • Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just remembered we have a spare 5510 at work:) will try swapping power supplies this week.