Long Journey to CCIE Voice

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Alright peeps, I want your advice alright. I'm from the Bahamas and we do not have much technical facilities regarding advanced voice equipments (e.g. rack rentals). I am 21 about to obtain my BBA in Computer Network Systems. After that, I will begin the journey. During my college years, I obtained the CCNA (other certs in descr...), the first step. Now I will continue to pursue 'the journey' after graduation. I don't know how long it would take me to become CCIE:V but I really do not care if it takes me until the age of 35. I just want to know what should I be looking into, where can I buy equipment from? Who can I go to for core training, not like a 5 day bootcamp. I really want to understand the information because it will be my career PERIOD and I do not want ANY shortcuts. What other certifications do you think will be advantageous or desirable along with voice (e.g. ccnp, da?) I really do not want to self study per say because I prefer to be mentored, but if I have to I will. Are there any schools in the U.S. or Canada that actually teach up to that level? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have a reliable internet connection you have access to rack rentals anywhere in the world (that offers them).

If you're sure you want to go the Cisco Voice route, then check the Cisco Partner Locator and track down the Cisco Business Partners and hound them for a job. That could give you lab access at work, Cisco hands on experience, and access to the Partner eLearning.

There are eBay vendors here in the US that would ship you the lab equipment, but it would be more expensive in the long run (you'd miss out on some of the great deals by people who won't ship overseas).

You can find a Cisco Learning Partner and do the "official training" -- but it still works out almost like a boot camp. Most of the classes will probably take 5 days each. To do well you still need to prepare in advance via self-study, or you need a Partner that gives you "free retakes" (usually dependent on space available) and hope the class makes more sense the 2nd time. And the official classes are expensive, unless you go to work for a Cisco Business who also happens to be a Cisco Learning/Training Partner.

You can check out some of the less expensive training that is becoming available for Cisco Voice. CCBootCamp has been big in Voice for years. Internetwork Expert just added the CCVP Class on Demand option. And IP Expert probably rounds out the "big 3" Cisco CCIE Voice training providers. The prerecorded or online classes are less expensive, and you can get some support via the vendor's forums (and maybe even email).

The obvious Certification path for voice is CCNA -> CCNA:Voice -> CCVP -> CCIE Voice

But unless you have mad voice skills and support by other networking professionals, you'd probably want to acquire the CCNP level networking skills -- and maybe some basic Security.
    bubble2005 wrote: »
    I really do not want to self study per say because I prefer to be mentored, but if I have to I will.
    Then you'd definitely want to try and get a job with a Cisco Business Partner. While they may have someone who will take the time to mentor you, you probably want to find out sooner, rather than later, how much self study you'll need to make it the CCIE level -- and working for a Cisco Business Partner is a great way to find out.

edit: I don't see any CCIEs listed for the Bahamas....
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike. Great advice. No there aren't any Bahamian CCIE'S, I think . The gap for hands on training and time is just too large so it becomes discouraging. Well I'm planning on closing that gap and becoming the first Bahamian CCIE :D

Was the basic security that you were talking about concerning the CCNA:S or a higher level?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bubble2005 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike. Great advice. No there aren't any Bahamian CCIE'S, I think . The gap for hands on training and time is just too large so it becomes discouraging. Well I'm planning on closing that gap and becoming the first Bahamian CCIE :D

Was the basic security that you were talking about concerning the CCNA:S or a higher level?
    Yes. While not absolutely required for your "voice plan," security is important -- and the CCNA:Security isn't a large detour in your 14 year plan. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gifAlright thanks Mike. Do you have any children? If not, I wouldn't mind being under your wings.