Options

need advice choosing my first certification

nightsky1981nightsky1981 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all

i've been reading through some of the threads here on techexams today and have found them very useful so thank you.

i finished my computer science degree way back in 2003. straight after this i did a degree in teaching and have been a teacher ever since. i've taught computer science at a high school level but have spent most of my time teaching english. i want to get into IT and know i need to update my skills if i'm to have a chance getting a job. so my question is what's a good certification for me to take? i'm really not sure what branch of IT i want to go into. when i was doing computer science i had interest in developing apps, especially for the web.

any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd pick up a book on Linux, Cisco (CCENT), and Windows Server, go through those, and see what appeals to you the most, and then follow that path.

A+/Network+ are typical first-certs, but you may want to do something else depending on your interest. I don't have either of those.

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Maybe get a Security+ cert first?
    It wouldn't be a waste becuse it never expires plus you can use it as an elective towards a MCSA or MCSE.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hi all

i've been reading through some of the threads here on techexams today and have found them very useful so thank you.

i finished my computer science degree way back in 2003. straight after this i did a degree in teaching and have been a teacher ever since. i've taught computer science at a high school level but have spent most of my time teaching english. i want to get into IT and know i need to update my skills if i'm to have a chance getting a job. so my question is what's a good certification for me to take? i'm really not sure what branch of IT i want to go into. when i was doing computer science i had interest in developing apps, especially for the web.

Depends on your interest. If you want to do get into a generalist position I would say pick up an MCP/MCTS for Windows Server, CCENT, then Security+. From there you could do MCITP:EA, CCNA, and CCNA:Security.
  • Options
    thanks for all the replies.
    i'll do some reading in those areas you mentioned dynamik and try to work out where my interest is.
    security+ seems like a good first certification from what you have all said.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hi all
    so my question is what's a good certification for me to take? i'm really not sure what branch of IT i want to go into. when i was doing computer science i had interest in developing apps, especially for the web.

In addition to what Dynamik mentioned I would get you feet wet with ASP.Net via C#, T-SQL, and SharePoint.

If you enjoy developing web based apps then these migth be very good for you.

Microsoft Web Platform - Start building better Web sites
    Introduction to Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition

SQL Server Express

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server - Connecting People, Process, and Information

Each of these (C#/ASP.Net, SQL Server, and SharePoint) has its own certification. In the market today there is a decent amount of demand for SharePoint Developers - at least in my area. Also, if you are still teaching you can probably qualify for the Dream Spark program. I would certainly check that out as it will get you the professional versions of Visual Studio, SQL Server, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2.
  • Options
    thanks robert; i'll look into those technologies. are the certifications you mentioned all offered by microsoft?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In the market today there is a decent amount of demand for SharePoint Developers - at least in my area.

Word. I hear the pay is decent as well. However, most SharePoint guys I know only do SharePoint and nothing else.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thanks robert; i'll look into those technologies. are the certifications you mentioned all offered by microsoft?

Yes, they are.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Word. I hear the pay is decent as well. However, most SharePoint guys I know only do SharePoint and nothing else.

True, but saying they only do sharepoint is very broad. You need to know some SQL, some development, etc... And BI is huge in sharepoint.
  • Options
    i did some reading into the areas you all mentioned and with the exception of windows server, i understood most of what i was reading. windows server seems way above me. i think i'm going to start off with "MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5 ASP .NET Applications" as i just liked what i was reading about. if i had to choose a second certification to do right now i'd probably go for "MCITP: Database Administrator 2008"; although some of the SQL seemed a bit above me.

thank you all for your help.