Network Design Competetion II

jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I don't know if any of you remember from a while back I introduced myself as entering a network design competition. It appears that the circumstances have changed somewhat, one of my partners has dropped out, and the remaining one has confessed that he is no longer interested in the competition other than to keep me eligible. In other words, It looks like i am on my own as far as designing this network goes. I was wanting to know if any one here would be interested in chatting on MSN messenger about some pretty basic/intermediate networking concepts so that I can get some things straight.

For now though, I have a couple of basic questions, if a switch can break up a collision domain by default and a broadcast domain if it is used to make a VLAN, why use routers for anything other than QoS and for gateways?

For a small network with less than 30 interfaces, what is the best way to create a secure remote access environment? Would you use RADIUS for that and is there such thing as a router that can serve as a RADIUS Server?

Next, EIGRP V.S. OSPF, I am thinking in general that OSPF is a bit sounder since it is an open standard routing protocol and calculates routes based off of bandwidth.

Finally, why use STP or RSTP if you can use load balancing instead?

I hope I didn't come here with to much at once, once again if anyone wants to have a little chat, I can be reached at

jeremy8529@hotmail.com for email and MSN Messenger

Thanks guys!!!