MS CRM roles split

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
AS usual I'm having trouble finding the info I'm after. I have added Dynamics CRM 4 VM server to an existing deployment in order to create a farm and transfer some of the roles. This will reduce the load and increase performance. I now need to find out how to remove roles from the original CRM server so the 2nd server can perform these services.

There's a heap of scenario and logical information out there about this, but no "how to" steps. I've checked the Add/Remove programs, the Install CD options, Repair setup, etc. Nothing on how to remove server roles.

Anyone know how to do this?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I have a CRM 4.0 system administration book. I can look in it later to see if there's anything in there about this. However, I'm confused... I haven't heard anything about having a CRM 4 farm with some servers having different roles... are you separating the user roles (CEO, Marketing Director, etc.), or what is it exactly that you're doing?

I don't know a whole lot about CRM 4, but I'm trying to learn and what you've mentioned is a whole new area I know nothing about.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Forgive my rustiness here...

Assuming you have CRM 4.0 Professional or Enterprise (Workgroup isn't supported for splitting roles) and that you told the 2nd instance to "Connect to an existing deployment" when you were installing it; Isn't it just Add/Remove Programs -> Change/Remove -> and follow the wizard on the original server to remove the role you don't want anymore?
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Forgive my rustiness here...

Assuming you have CRM 4.0 Professional or Enterprise (Workgroup isn't supported for splitting roles) and that you told the 2nd instance to "Connect to an existing deployment" when you were installing it; Isn't it just Add/Remove Programs -> Change/Remove -> and follow the wizard on the original server to remove the role you don't want anymore?

It should be that simple. The options under Add/Remove Programs -> Change/Remove are to either Repair or Uninstall. Repair will try to restore a CRM build to its original state. Uninstall will uninstall CRM. I've checked all avenues on a test box.

Even MS say to do what you suggested:
    How to move the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 deployment
    Uninstall the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server or the server role from the old Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server. To do this, follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, open the Add or Remove Programs item.
    Select the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, and then click Change/Remove.
    Complete the removal wizard to remove the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server or server role on the old server.

Unless I've made an obvious oversight, It's not correct. I'm kinda stumped on this one.
    When adding the second CRM server via "Connect to an existing deployment", a custom build can be done to select which roles are to be implemented. However, those roles will still need to be removed from the original build.

BTW this is CRM 4 Enterprise; forgot to mention that earlier.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    When adding the second CRM server via "Connect to an existing deployment", a custom build can be done to select which roles are to be implemented. However, those roles will still need to be removed from the original build.

BTW this is CRM 4 Enterprise; forgot to mention that earlier.
    I hate to suggest it, but how about adding another VM server to host the roles you want on the original server, then do an uninstall on the original and a reinstall with just the roles, then remove the temporary VM - it's not pretty but it should work. icon_scratch.gif
    I hate to suggest it, but how about adding another VM server to host the roles you want on the original server, then do an uninstall on the original and a reinstall with just the roles, then remove the temporary VM - it's not pretty but it should work. icon_scratch.gif

Ooh, that makes me queazy. icon_smile.gif But yeah, it's definite alternate plan. I'm gonna build a couple of VMs and play with those. I think I'd be thrown out the window if something happened to the CRM server. icon_smile.gif There's about 10x tenancies running on it.

If I find the answer I'll be sure to post it here.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Ooh, that makes me queazy. icon_smile.gif But yeah, it's definite alternate plan. I'm gonna build a couple of VMs and play with those. I think I'd be thrown out the window if something happened to the CRM server. icon_smile.gif There's about 10x tenancies running on it.

If I find the answer I'll be sure to post it here.
    Why not P2V the production system (if possible) then take it off the network and lab it up.
    Why not P2V the production system (if possible) then take it off the network and lab it up.

Afraid I don't have that sort of convenience. It's a Govt dept and although the CRM server is already a virtual, I don't have access to the VM host. I need cooperation from other service providers which I'm told is like pulling teeth.
    Luckily my main project here is to build a new AD domain and break away from all dependancies. But that's another story.
    So what are the roles you guys are talking about? I've been looking and the only roles I've found have to do with positions, like CEO.
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    So what are the roles you guys are talking about? I've been looking and the only roles I've found have to do with positions, like CEO.
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM Team Blog : Making Sense of Server Roles
    darkerosxx wrote: »

Server roles. Transferring certain roles to other CRM servers in order to increase performance. Astorrs' link will explain what I'm trying to achieve with the application and platform groups.
    Nice link. Thanks.
    Well I've found the answer and tested it in my lab.

I'll need to create 2x new CRM servers with either roles. These will be added to the existing deployment with the Platform roler server disabled. After all checks are performed, the original server will be disabled and the Platform server enabled. After more ample checking, the original server can then be removed from the farm and everything should be cool.

Just need to make sure I don't mess up the IFD side of things. The only issue now is that we need to provision 2x servers, which we can't because our virtual farm is at capacity...