Options

Has anybody figured out a way to use MS OneNote in their study habits?

I discovered this awesome program late in my college career and it was an amazing tool for taking notes in my classes.

I'd like to figure out a way to go about using it for studying for cert exams but I haven't figured out a good way to do this yet.

Has anybody messed around with this program in their studies and come up with a good method for its use?
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is the cornerstone of my studying now. I love the program. I have a notebook for certifications. My first section has my road map on one page and any motivational stuff I can find. Currently it has local job listings I've found that require the mcse and have a pay range of 60-80k. I then create a new section for whatever test I'm studying for. The first page is the objectives and I create a new page discussing eact of those. I also have a page where I copy the technotes from here if they exist for the test.

On the pages for objectives/subobjectives I write summaries from the texts I'm studying. I haven't used CBT nuggets yet but I'm getting them for the MCSE so I will fill out notes from my books with those most likely. I link the objectives from the objectives page to the relevent summary page and then can click on each objective to visually see how much material I know about it. Printing the entire section gives around 40-60 pages of stuff to study.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Looks like a pretty good method, I will give it a whirl...thanks!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used it a few times recently. I usually create outline type notes and glossaries for each chapter of the book I'm using.

The ability to take a quick screen capture and have it stored in a notebook has been very convenient. If I'm using a practice test or watching CBT Nuggets, save it into my notebook without switching apps.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I started using it for my notes a few months back and it works great. I used to not take very many notes, and if I did it was hand written. Reading the chapter and then taking notes has helped some stuff stick. I didn't realize how much I was glossing over until I tried to write the basics down after reading.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    I just started last week. So far its really nice. I really like it.
    It keeps my notes organized. I'm looking forward to more tips and tricks on using One Note.

JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I discovered this awesome program late in my college career and it was an amazing tool for taking notes in my classes.

I'd like to figure out a way to go about using it for studying for cert exams but I haven't figured out a good way to do this yet.

Has anybody messed around with this program in their studies and come up with a good method for its use?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I've been using it for years. I started using it with a tablet PC and a stylus as a replacement for a notebook. After I moved away from that PC and didn't get a touch monitor, I've used it less, but I've still been using it regularly.

I have diff notebooks for school semesters, work years, etc. In each notebook, diff sections for classes, specific work projects, etc. I just use it like a notebook, which is the way it was designed.

There are a few great things I like doing with it. I like taking my laptop to a meeting or to a training session and fire up OneNote and make a new page for whatever I'm doing, then just hit record. It records the meeting and saves it right there in your page. Same with video.

I also like the "unfiled notes" button a ton. I use it more than any other feature. I can't count the number of times I needed to jot something down and fired up OneNote, hit "unfiled notes", jotted it down, closed OneNote, and walked away.

Great program, imo.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    used it for my last exam (294), and really liked it, I had separate tabs for each book/CBT/Practice exam/LAB, and then made pages and subpages accordingly. Its a really neat program. And as mentioned above, that "snipping" tool is freaking sweet! I still havent even unlocked its full potential yet. For now im using it as an outline for notes.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security