Options

Please help quick

PD75PD75 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Friend of mine emailed me a second ago and said her internet is down. She has rang her provider and said that the connection is working fine so it must be her pc.
When she clicks on the internet icon on her desktop nothing happens. Please help!
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    reset pc and reset modem..(also check cables and verify you are getting a isp ip address or not) if it doesn't work go back to isp and ask for higher support group. this is the short answer
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    What do u mean by reset the modem? How is this down? By reseting the pc, you mean rebooting right?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    reset aka reboot if its a modem unplug and then plug back in after 10 sec
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Thanks i'll tell her to do that
  • Options
    Should the pc be turned off while she is unplugging and plugging in the modem cable?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why don't you open up a command prompt and do some pings to verify you have a connection:

ie: ping www.google.com

If you have an active connection than it must be a configuration on the local pc. Does Internet Explorer (if that's what your using) open from the Start menu? It could be that the target path in the shortcut was replaced on the desktop icon.

Have you checked for Spyware, Malware, Adware? I would do that as well.
  • Options
    Im not actually with the person in question so im a bit in the dark. She is sending me emails using NTL world and telling me she has a problem. However its been about 20 minutes since she last emailed.
  • Options
    The connection is fine. Its her icon that doesnt work on her desktop. Whats the best fix?
  • Options
    linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Create a new shortcut.

Right click, drag, drop, select make short cut.

You can pull off of the start menu.
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Try a repair of Internet Explorer through Add/Remove Programs in the Control panel. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    D-boy what should she do? Should she remove the internet or reset it in Add/Remove programs?