Taking on the CCIE: My Journey

Comments

• jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    dude you've been extremely quiet lately...you and mrock both! Hows the studying going? Have you started any of the INE labs yet?
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Yeah, I have done the layer 1 stuff for INE completely. A few run throughs actually, but I had to stop myself because I was focusing entirely too much on the labbing and not enough on reading. I just finished OSPF, a good review and now i'm moving forward with IGP redist, route summarization, default routing, and troubleshooting section. Reading is going a lot slower than I imagined but i'm grinding through. Watched the EIGRP nugget tonight again, and going to move ahead with the OSPF nugget, a practice test or two and then i'm out. How's your studying coming along?
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
    Took the day off today, to watch my daughter for my wife. She had a really big meeting that she couldnt miss and Nana couldnt watch my daughter today, so daddy took off work. Hoping to get some reading and practice exams in. I had a meeting this morning about a new Cisco project, which should be not only fun, but lucrative as well.

Still alive and still studying. Moving into EIGRP config now, reading through the redistribution section of the book still. Trying to take my time through the reading, though I may be taking too much time. At any rate, I'm having some problems with my lab, I'll post what I'm experiencing after a little more troubleshooting if I cant get it figured out.

• SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Subnetting practice this morning, maybe a little reading before my interview. Found another good subnetting practice resource.

IP Subnet Practice

Between the two, I should stay sharp in the subnetting. I think 30 mins is good, I'll adjust if need be. Hopefully finishing Chapter 6 today and more practice exams. Getting a bit scary now, this seems about right lol. I guess I was just stronger with the layer 2 stuff than I thought.

thank you for that link!!!!

For some reason I found myself browsing the CCIE forum because I was on the TE front page and it had your thread on the list of recent posts so I figured I'd see your progress

I'm gonna use that link to help me learn subnetting better for my CCNA exam.

I know they are using public ip addresses and that doesn't bother me, it's more the value of being able to do the subnetting in my head that appeals to me.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Still alive and still studying. Moving into EIGRP config now, reading through the redistribution section of the book still. Trying to take my time through the reading, though I may be taking too much time. At any rate, I'm having some problems with my lab, I'll post what I'm experiencing after a little more troubleshooting if I cant get it figured out.

As you have discovered, studying for the CCIE written the *proper* way is a serious undertaking. Keep up with the reading but also do those end of chapter questions and the Odom/Boson tests often for the topic you are covering. You should also do questions in areas you have already covered to get the recall working. It's a lot of work written prep and you need elapsed time to not only burn in the material but to allow your mind an opportunity for everything to connect so the knowledge becomes useful.

Good progress!
    Well put Turgon, I've been doing all topics on my practice questions now, as I'm getting closer to the end of the middle of the book. So I'm testing some topics I've not gone over yet, some I have. All in all, I'm doing well. Definitely looking like June was far too ambitious, but I'm not too far out. Starting with BGP reading, doing EIGRP labs now. Nothing crazy on the labs, just enough to re-cement topics in my head.

Glad you could make use of them selfmade, the fact that they use public addressing is inconsequential. There is no difference between subnetting public or private addressing. CCNA was very heavy in subnetting when I took it, very difficult stuff I remember. Good luck and stay tuned, I'll throw other stuff I'm using out there from time to time that may help with the CCNA, CCNP, or CCIE.

I've got a VPN project coming up through my consulting agency (I do light consulting on the side, from time to time) and I'm very excited about the new relationship as they have already started to push me to their customers as something of a high level Cisco guy. I also have the AD migration project heating up as well. We'll see where they head from here.

I've got a VPN project coming up through my consulting agency (I do light consulting on the side, from time to time) and I'm very excited about the new relationship as they have already started to push me to their customers as something of a high level Cisco guy. I also have the AD migration project heating up as well. We'll see where they head from here.

High level is good. There's more money in it generally. Design work is good for your career.
    Plenty of BGP study, getting very in depth in the protocol, much more so than for the NP. I figure it will pay dividends in case I need it and cant hurt if I dont. Struggled a little bit with the EIGRP labs, they went over topics and configurations I wasnt at all familiar with, though I worked my way through it. June 5th is definitely not going to happen. My new date is probably not for another 2 months, maybe 1. We'll see, as it stands, I'm feeling good either way. Doing full topic practice exams now, and getting pretty good marks. The hardest thing is keeping the knowledge fresh. The exams help with that, as so many have already said.

On another note, I had my first external tournament for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I submitted my first opponent and was pretty dominating in fact. If I hadnt submitted him (via rear naked choke), I most likely would have won by 9 -0. The second match went a bit differently. I was unable to effectively control my opponent and myself was unable to score any points. We scrambled for most of the match, then he scored 3 points (side control) with about a min left on the clock. I was able to get back to half guard, but time ran out before I could score, losing the match 0-3 and knocking me out of contention. My opponent went on to win the entire division. My next tourney is the world championships in June, the 3rd to be exact.

Plenty of BGP study, getting very in depth in the protocol, much more so than for the NP. I figure it will pay dividends in case I need it and cant hurt if I dont. Struggled a little bit with the EIGRP labs, they went over topics and configurations I wasnt at all familiar with, though I worked my way through it. June 5th is definitely not going to happen. My new date is probably not for another 2 months, maybe 1. We'll see, as it stands, I'm feeling good either way. Doing full topic practice exams now, and getting pretty good marks. The hardest thing is keeping the knowledge fresh. The exams help with that, as so many have already said.

On another note, I had my first external tournament for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I submitted my first opponent and was pretty dominating in fact. If I hadnt submitted him (via rear naked choke), I most likely would have won by 9 -0. The second match went a bit differently. I was unable to effectively control my opponent and myself was unable to score any points. We scrambled for most of the match, then he scored 3 points (side control) with about a min left on the clock. I was able to get back to half guard, but time ran out before I could score, losing the match 0-3 and knocking me out of contention. My opponent went on to win the entire division. My next tourney is the world championships in June, the 3rd to be exact.

Take the written when you are ready. Hammering the Odom and Boson tests would be a good indicator of that. Print out the questions you continually get wrong and study the solutions carefully. The test is loaded with configs and scenarios you will want to be comfortable following requirements to deliver the correct network configuration. Much will depend on your understanding of protocol mechanics and cause and effect. You will need to be strong across the piece to pass the written. Good luck!
    Thanks Turgon. I just finished reading on BGP basics again today. Neighbor relationships, how routes are injected, the differences between iBGP and eBGP, synchronization, route reflectors and confederations (to null the need for synchronization), etc. Moving into the more advanced topics, later today possibly, if not tomorrow.

Thanks Turgon. I just finished reading on BGP basics again today. Neighbor relationships, how routes are injected, the differences between iBGP and eBGP, synchronization, route reflectors and confederations (to null the need for synchronization), etc. Moving into the more advanced topics, later today possibly, if not tomorrow.

Any update the last week? Im documenting BGP myself this weekend.

Im done with bgp for the moment and on with QoS now. How are your studies going?
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Im done with bgp for the moment and on with QoS now. How are your studies going?

mmm QOS.. my nemesis...
    Just finished my studies in BGP last night, about 10:15 lol. That is for now. I am beggining to see that the CCNP was a great assistance for at least the written portion of this exam as far as I can tell. The real difficulty is being able to retain all of the information. It is SO very much, and that is where the practice exams come in handy. As Turgon, and many others have said, the key to retaining is to keep drilling the past subjects via the practice exams, the Boson, the Odom, etc.

Moving on to QoS this week as well, looking forward to getting further in depth with AutoQoS, MQC, NBAR, Classification and Marking strategies, etc. I am looking at middle of July to attempt the written, maybe end of July. I am feeling quite strong, although again, I can feel myself losing certain subjects after a while, especially the rather obscure stuff. At any rate, I will be working more and more practice exams and this month I am going to start shorring up the holes in my studies with more "full" practice exams. I plan on pulling the subjects I am getting the lowest marks on and focusing soley on those over the next month, month and a half.

I'll be reading those chapters again, reading new material on the subject and running through the labs in order to further understand the subjects better. I can guess those will probably be IPv6, QoS, Multicast routing, and BGP. During the CCNP I just kind of glanced through these, just learning enough to pass and I've really never needed to know too much with the exception of QoS and auto programs and templates have been my crutch. I am looking forward to solidifying my core understanding of those particular subjects.

I'm actually enjoying going back over the MQC stuff so far. It's simple enough and I have points of reference from the NP studies as well as real world stuff I've done. I'm watching the CBT Nuggets videos on QoS as well, gotta love Jeremy!

You should take the written on July 17th. You are ready. I advise you now to get through those remaining chapters quickly and each day spend a couple of hours on the Odom and Boson tests. Print out questions you continually get wrong, study those. Eventually the pile of those bad questions will get smaller. Throw in some CCNA or CCNP Boson tests if you like.

In terms of practice questions concentrate on any with diagrams, scenarios, config. Be sure to read the solutions of the ones you get right as well as wrong because they will reinforce your understanding of how the protocols work.

If you fail written, brush up on topics you suffered on and resit in 4 weeks time. The important thing is that you studied for the written properly unlike the weenies who use the ****. The things you have learned will help your lab prep immensely. There you put the theory into context. Good luck!
    Great advice Turgon, I will be getting through the remaining chapters within the next week or two. I've just about finished chapter 12, QoS and it was really again a refresh. Been listening to the audio study guides every chance I get and watching the videos (cbt nuggets) more often as well. Filling in the holes! The questions I am missing are getting much smaller daily, and it's really starting to feel like I am able to put it all together. That's the biggest difficulty, keeping up with ALL of the info that you learn and are still learning. Not forgetting or losing what you learned a month ago.

So the July 17th (or 18th) date is looking pretty solid. I am also progressing very well in BJJ. I did the World Jiu Jitsu tournament in the beggining of June and did very well. Though I lost my first match, I felt I lost not because of a lack of technique or skill. I made one mistake, my opponent capitalized on that mistake and I lost 2-0. I also lost track of time, so time management is a big one. Nerves played a part in making the mistake I made (I stood to pass his guard, which I never do, but I did and lost my balance and was swept. I immediately recovered half guard and worked back up to my feet from there, but the damage was obviously critical) and so I think competing and winning in more of the "smaller" tournys will help with that. I have my eye on one in August, the North American championships, which is big and should go my way honestly. I feel these will be the last few tourneys as a white belt, as blue belt cant be far away.

I am changing gyms because a schedule change at work just makes it impossible to continue to keep the schedule I currently have. I'll benefit though as this new gym (Gracie Barra) is more competition oriented, strictly BJJ (no real MMA slant) and will give me the structure I need to excel. I'm excited.

My new daughter is due in Oct, which will be a new dynamic to the house as well. That will be interesting and I am excited about it as well.

Done, on to congestion avoidance techniques. Doing some practice exams as usual.

Done, on to congestion avoidance techniques. Doing some practice exams as usual.

Good. Reading and practice tests each day now. Suggest you put on the whiteboard at home the Odom chapter topics listed from top to bottom. Same for the Boson topics. Take the test and record score on the whiteboard. Once done attempt them again and record next to the previous score. Use percentages as you go from left to right. This technique really helped me in my final weeks for the written. Go through all topics top to bottom before trying again (at least 20 in the Odom book). Exhausting and will take you many hours but worth it.
    Reading through all of the queuing methods, currently on CBWFQ. Mostly review, but I am a bit confused on the bandwidth remaining percent option. Can someone explain this a little more in plain english?

• NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    Reading through all of the queuing methods, currently on CBWFQ. Mostly review, but I am a bit confused on the bandwidth remaining percent option. Can someone explain this a little more in plain english?

Lets say you have a 256k pipe. You want to guarantee 64k for voice. You can allocate the remaining bandwidth by percentage. So, if you wanted to allocate 50% to web traffic you'd have (256 - 64) * .5 = 96k that could be allocated to web traffic. This isn't 100% accurate because you can't allocate 100% of your bandwidth, but you get the idea.
    Ok I get it. Seems like either setting the bandwidth outright or using the percentage would be easier. When and why would you use this particular approach?

It makes sense when you think about it from a voice perspective, which incidentally is the only time I ever use it.

I'll paste the config I use at one of my remote sites and break it down why I do each. Keep in mind only 75% of your circuit's BW is available for queuing.

This example is a 256K link.
    policy-map LLQ-VOICE
     class VOIP-TRAFFIC
      priority 32 6000
      set ip dscp ef

Set the voice traffic to use LLQ (priority command) and allocate 32K of BW.
     class WEB-TRAFFIC
      set ip dscp af31
      bandwidth remaining percent 50
     class CARD-TRAFFIC
      set ip dscp af21
      bandwidth remaining percent 40
     class class-default
      set ip dscp default
      bandwidth remaining percent 10

Of the remaining 160K ([256*.75] - 32) I've allowed UP TO 50% of that to be allocated to web traffic, 40% to credit card data and 10% to whatever else I didn't define. It's confusing at first, but I like the way it's set up now that I'm used to it. IMO it's a better way of doing it than hard allocating Kb/s and having to change it later if you add another class. This way I just change the percentages to equal 100 and away I go. It's nice if you do a circuit upgrade too, you don't have to carve everything out again.
    Apparently this is also a method to assign more than 75% of the bandwidth, correct?

lol nope. You're still allocating up to 100% of the 75%.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Nuul wrote: »
    lol nope. You're still allocating up to 100% of the 75%.

Say you have a cable modem plugged into your router. That qos is going to be for a 100 mb/s link. How would you change that to what your cable subscription is?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Say you have a cable modem plugged into your router. That qos is going to be for a 100 mb/s link. How would you change that to what your cable subscription is?

If you have a subrate of your physical link speed then you would want to do nested policy maps. For example you have 10 Mbps and a 100Mbps interface you will want something like below.
    policy-map PARENT
     class class-default
        shape average 10000000
      service-policy CHILD
    !
    interface FastEthernet1/0
     service-policy output PARENT

The policy-map CHILD will be your standard queuing policy with your classes defined.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.