School Question

vindicatevindicate Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an AAS in Computer support and Networking. I graduated a couple of years ago and got a couple of years of experience in the meantime.

Right now I would like to stick to your basic tech support position but would like to move up to a system/server admin or something like that someday.

Should I go back and get my BS or will my AAS + Certs + Experience(not just my 2 years but what I will be continually gaining) be good enough?

Comments

• SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Either of those would allow you to elevate to a sys admin type position. However, you will definitely reach a glass ceiling without a 4-year degree (if not more).

I would go back to school without question but I would not say that is required to be a sys admin...depends on what your individual goals are.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • vindicatevindicate Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Either of those would allow you to elevate to a sys admin type position. However, you will definitely reach a glass ceiling without a 4-year degree (if not more).

I would go back to school without question but I would not say that is required to be a sys admin...depends on what your individual goals are.

What kind of ceiling are we talking about? Like not being a manager? no being a VP? CIO?
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    vindicate wrote: »
    What kind of ceiling are we talking about? Like not being a manager? no being a VP? CIO?

All depends on the type of company really I guess. I have my bachelors but my boss doesn't have a degree. He does however have a boatload of certs, 10 years more experience than I have, and he was a Marine.

I would say it would be difficult to get past the middle level manager tier...VP with most companies would be difficult without at least a bachelors I would think.

I know at my company (we are a small company with a little under 100 employees) all of our VP level and higher people have at least their masters. All of the managers except mine have a 4-year degree.

In fact, now that I think about it...I think the only person at the company that I'm aware of without at least a 4 year degree besides my boss is our receptionist, and she is working on hers.

My boss is a great example of being able to work your way up the ladder without a degree, but he was a marine and has ridiculous certs to back up his pedigree.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be sure and get BS or BA at at a minimum.

Certs should be used as just icing on the cake.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    The BS will help you in any job you choose, even if you go outside of the tech world.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brad- wrote: »
    The BS will help you in any job you choose, even if you go outside of the tech world.

+1, a BS will never hurt you. If you can handle working on a college degree while also working on a few certifications all the better.
  • vindicatevindicate Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I know the A BS will not hurt. I'm just trying to figure out if I can get away without having one. I don't ever plan/expect VP status that's for sure.

But being a manager would be nice sometime on the future, and that is attainable with a AAS + Experience after some years?

I know no one can answer for sure, but generally speaking.