Options

Description of Deleted Item Retention in 70-236 Training Kit book

GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
One of those , "is it me or is it them?" moments ...

I thought I understood Del Item Retention quite well from E2K3 i.e after a message is hard deleted (removed from Deleted Items or user does a Shift Delete) it goes to the dumpster. Then it stays in the dumpster for the duration of Del Item Retention Period during which time Deleted Item Recovery is possible within Outlook IF the item was removed from Deleted Items folder or from any folder if the client reg key had been set etc..

So.. I get to page 681 in the 70-236 Configuring Exchange 2007 Training Kit book and they say :
"During the next scheduled DB maintenance, each mailbox is examined to determine if any soft-deleted messages it contains have passed the Deleted Item Retention period (14 days default) . If so then the message is hard deleted and removed from the Deleted Items folder....."

What!?

Surely that sort of thing, automatically removing stuff from Deleted Items folders, is only possible using a Managed Folder Policy
Then the book goes on to say..
" How long messages remain in the dumpster depends on a number of factors.." But it is vague about what those factors are . It just says maintenance runs per a schedule and during that entries in the DeletedMessages table are deleted .. what all of them ? straight away ?

I can't help thinking the book is very wrong on this point , or at best very badly worded.

Also, this Configuring Deleted Mailbox and Deleted Item Retention: Exchange 2007 Help would indicate that the book is wrong too.

?!?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Technet is correct... the book is wrong.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. Yes, it had to be wrong really - I just needed a sanity check !
    That's a pretty bad goof to have made it all the way to publication! Oh well, those guys are only human too...

Cheers
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    GrayhenTor wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes, it had to be wrong really - I just needed a sanity check !
    That's a pretty bad goof to have made it all the way to publication! Oh well, those guys are only human too...

Cheers

Don't blame the book, the technet article was wrong last year. Some of the Exchange documentation stated that items Shift-Deleted out of other folders skipped the Deleted Items retention dumpster and would be purged during the next maintenance cycle. This isn't the case, and you don't even need to set the registry key in Outlook 2007 as the feature is enabled by default.

Sometimes features change during the development cycle and published documentation was written against earlier code. Last I checked, there are still Exchange 2010 features that are incompletely documented on technet.