Options

71-669 Desktop Virtualization Announced

2»

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Its hard to blame Prometric and say they need to buy lots of new equipment just to handle the occasional beta registration.
    Microsoft and test takers alike are Prometric's customers, so I think the fault lies squarely on Prometric if they can't provide their service adequately. If their web registration system can't handle an influx of people doing a beta registration, then they should work with MSL on avoiding that influx in the first place. If that just means taking down the web site and putting a notice saying to register by phone, so be it, at least people won't be wasting time on their web site.
    I do blame MSL for not getting the code out on time. When its during the work day and you are engaged with clients, its hard enough to get away when you anticipate an important email but having it nearly 2 hours late really messes with things.

I prefer the midnight registrations myself, there is very little server congestion at that hour, so the website typically functions fine.
    Mine arrived around 7AM PST, so "only" one hour late (that's still pretty bad, though). Anyway MSL posted on their blog that they won't do it this way again:

Beta notification process—Return to Last Known Good Configuration
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Microsoft and test takers alike are Prometric's customers, so I think the fault lies squarely on Prometric if they can't provide their service adequately. If their web registration system can't handle an influx of people doing a beta registration, then they should work with MSL on avoiding that influx in the first place. If that just means taking down the web site and putting a notice saying to register by phone, so be it, at least people won't be wasting time on their web site.

Agreed, but Prometric, like any company, isnt going to purchase gobs of new equipment for the occasional event. They COULD do the phone thing, which I think would be fine, though.

Mine arrived around 7AM PST, so "only" one hour late (that's still pretty bad, though). Anyway MSL posted on their blog that they won't do it this way again:

Beta notification process—Return to Last Known Good Configuration

I saw that post, and i'm glad. I don't mind getting up at midnight (or staying up) and spending 2 mins doing the registration. Its too hectic to do it during work hours.

Coindidentally, I've had the fewest issues during night time registration. A few people in Europe cried last time when their key didnt work and Krista bent over for them.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, but Prometric, like any company, isnt going to purchase gobs of new equipment for the occasional event. They COULD do the phone thing, which I think would be fine, though.
    I wouldn't expect them to add a ton of capacity just for the occasional spike, but they shouldn't let their public facing website become unusable if they can avoid it (and especially not if it's predictable... it's not like the opening of a beta is the same as being slashdotted). I generally find their site to be extremely slow, though, so I don't feel particularly forgiving.
    I saw that post, and i'm glad. I don't mind getting up at midnight (or staying up) and spending 2 mins doing the registration. Its too hectic to do it during work hours.

Coindidentally, I've had the fewest issues during night time registration. A few people in Europe cried last time when their key didnt work and Krista bent over for them.
    I definitely prefer the late night registration (especially since 12AM EST is 9PM for me, so I don't have to stay up late at all icon_lol.gif), but I can understand the logic of wanting people to register during Prometric business hours. It makes it easy to just call in and register or resolve a problem. Anyway, it looks like they will go back to the old way, time to get studying!!! :)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV