IPS Manager Express & IOS

PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Some problem with the IPS Manager has been bugging me the whole day and I am totally lost after 8+ hours of troubleshooting and reading through data sheets. My question is if it is possible to run the IPS Manager Express for an IOS-based router, which has no IPS module. The readme file for v6.1.1 says that it supports IOS IPS devices (http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282829584/28973/IME-6.1-1.readme.txt), but when I configure IPS signatures on an ISR running 12.4(15)T7 and try to connect the GUI to the device, it gives me the following error:
Error response from IME server: Unknown error (check log file in installation's log directory).

From the log:
2010-02-25 23:45:00,218 [s2] WARN - switch new table function returns empty table name
2010-02-26 00:17:56,515 [sz] WARN - 10.99.98.2: error in init() Error on line 1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
2010-02-26 00:17:56,515 [q] ERROR - addSource() thread initialization error
2010-02-26 00:17:56,515 [sx] ERROR - 1

Although that seems to be a Java error, I assume it isn't because I tried with different versions and from different computers (and on different routers).

Pavel

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PStefanov wrote: »
    My question is if it is possible to run the IPS Manager Express for an IOS-based router, which has no IPS module.
    No, I think it only supports the IPS 4200, ASA IPS, IDSM2, and AIM-IPS.

It sounds like that readme was talking about the AIM-IPS.

The only thing other than the CLI for management of the IOS IPS is SDM and CSM. I think there is an IOS version that lets you access it for reporting IPS Manager Express.

Edit: The brochure makes it sound like you should be able to access the IOS IPS for Monitoring & Reporting icon_scratch.gif
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5729/ps5715/ps9610/at_a_glance_c45-459034_v4.pdf
    Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.3(14)T7, 12.4(15)T2 (monitoring and reporting only)
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot for the help, Mike!

That's what I am thinking too and Cisco should have made it a bit clearer IMO. I think the brochures and release notes are still referring to AIM-IPS but I will test it with that exact IOS version just to be sure.

One of our customers wanted to buy an ASA with an SSM module and see how the IPS Manager looks like, but since we don't have any spare ones, I thought I'd show him that on a router. I guess my only option is to go with the Demo version of the software.
  • Saul19566Saul19566 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco IOS IPS is indeed supported by the Cisco IME, I have installed it and added IOS IPS devices succesfully. I had the same error you have and it was a bad username password combination.