Buying a new pc?

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I have a problem, my old pc has completely had it, so i need to buy a new pc so that i can carry on with ny studies etc, but i am emigrating to Canada in roughly 4 months, i know about the difference in power, but it`s a long time to go without a pc for studing with ( i have my study domain all set up with vmware on my old pc) Dont know what to do for the best really!!

Comments

• SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Where are you from? I'm assuming not America.

You can buy adapters like this for relatively inexpensive. I would just buy a laptop or desktop now like you want to and purchase an adapter before you leave for Canada.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I have a problem, my old pc has completely had it, so i need to buy a new pc so that i can carry on with ny studies etc, but i am emigrating to Canada in roughly 4 months, i know about the difference in power, but it`s a long time to go without a pc for studing with ( i have my study domain all set up with vmware on my old pc) Dont know what to do for the best really!!
    I’m not sure what happened to your PC, does it power on? The problem it could be the power supply. motherboard , or even the hard drive. Does it boot up , does it POST? If it’s the hard drive try this method… it could even be the hard drive.
    Have you tried to repair it?

Try a post card PCI Test Card, PC Analyzer, Motherboard Test Card
    Test the power supply-
    YouTube - How to test a desktop computer power supply
    If it's a harddrive, try to recover it..YouTube - To Recover a Fried Hard Drive
    I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most PSU's are multi-voltage so you should just need an socket adapter or buy a new cable locally. If you want something light and still decent horse-power-wise try a Net Top (presuming you don't want to go for a full laptop). I picked up a Zotac HD-ND01 last week for a media PC and it rocks.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    I am in the UK and dont really want to pay out for a pc or laptop if i cant use it in Canada, i have heard that yes i can use an adapter, but the pc wont last long due to the current or ampage etc!! I hope i am wrong. If i knew that the power will not be an issue, i wont mind paying for a good laptop.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in the UK and dont really want to pay out for a pc or laptop if i cant use it in Canada, i have heard that yes i can use an adapter, but the pc wont last long due to the current or ampage etc!! I hope i am wrong. If i knew that the power will not be an issue, i wont mind paying for a good laptop.

I just checked the power brick for my laptop. It has a voltage range of 100v to 240v. You will probably need to purchase a new power cord for the correct country as Ahiakin mentioned, usually around $10. If you buy a desktop computer, check to see if there is a switch to select 110v or 220v on the back of the psu and make sure it's set correctly, though this is usually on older models. Ask me how i know lol.

You won't need a converter kit, just the correct power cord. Don't worry about the voltage difference, the power brick is designed to handle this and Canada's power grid is pretty solid. I've seen power issues in certain countries, but not Canada.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Build your own. Its cheap, fun, no bloatware.

Toss the PSU that comes in the case and buy one that you can change the voltage input (if it doesnt do it automatically, i think its called switched-mode power supply). It can go from 100 V to 240 V - and may need a manual switch.

If you look at the back of this model:
    Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply - Power Supplies
    ...it has a manual switch. I think most new ones dont though.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    i have heard that yes i can use an adapter, but the pc wont last long due to the current or ampage etc!!
    You've been misinformed. If you have the correct voltage adapter and the PSU is okay with the different frequency which generally they are then it won't have any difference in lifetime.

If your PSU can't handle 110V then it is easier to just replace the old 220V only PSU and buy one that can work with 110V or 220V.
    I hope i am wrong. If i knew that the power will not be an issue, i wont mind paying for a good laptop.
    Generally laptops PSUs are capable of running from 110V or 220V because they're intended to be used whilst you're travelling. Check the label on the PSU first.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    brad- wrote: »
    Toss the PSU that comes in the case and buy one that you can change the voltage input (if it doesnt do it automatically, i think its called switched-mode power supply)
    Switched mode power supply means how it works and not that it is capable of accepting 110/220V. The term that generally describes the ability you're talking about is auto ranging if it does it by itself.

All PC PSUs are switched mode power supplies but not all of them are capable of working from 110V and 220V. If you look at the little wall wart adapters for your various electronic equipment, the light small ones are SMPS and the heavy chunky ones are linear power supplies.

A SMPS works by rectifying the incoming AC mains to DC and then into high frequency AC. This high frequency AC is fed into a small transformer with multiple windings to give you the required outputs after rectification again. The transformer is significantly smaller and operates more efficiently than the big transformer in a linear supply.

The voltage input switch on a PSU generally works by altering how the mains rectifier is wired up. If it is 220V then it operates normally. If it is 110V then it will configure the rectifier into a voltage doubler arrangement. This means the other parts of the PSU don't need to care whether it is being used with 110V or 220V.

A linear supply would basically be a big transformer with a linear regulator attached to the output which works by dissipating the excess power in the form of heat. The entire thing operates at 50/60Hz so they generally have an audible hum as well.

Making a SMPS is fiddly and requires quite a bit of calculation to get everything working and outputting the required voltages with the necessary current capacity. The first time I made one I had some mistakes and it went bang with the electrolytic capacitor confetti going everywhere icon_sad.gif

Read the spec sheet for the PSU or look to see if it mentions 110V or 220V on the actual PSU.