new to certs

HoosierinUtahHoosierinUtah Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, all. I've been lurking for a while and was hoping to get some advice. I'm trying to figure out what certifications I should invest my time and money into this year.

A little background:
I've always been interested in computers. I've worked at Best Buy (I know, I know) selling them--at a time when the sales staff actually knew their stuff. I worked in a NOC doing both tier 1 and 2 support for a major university. Most recently, I was laid off doing tier 1 phone support for a major ISP. I have a liberal arts AA, and I'm currently majoring in computer engineering. However, I'll probably switch to a BS in IT soon. I am taking time off school for a little bit until my wife finishes her degree in about a year.

I'd like to be able to get my foot in the door for an entry-level position. My career interests are, in order, InfoSec, networking, and SysAdmin. I'd like to develop Linux skills. I would love to work for the DoD as a civilian (my AFROTC career got cut short).

I have always wanted to get an A+, and I probably could without much additional studying, but the $300 price tag is a bit much for something so basic. I am thinking of passing up N+ for CCENT. I think I'd like to get at least one MCP before the end of June, in case I need the "second shot."

In your informed opinions, what should I shoot for? Is the A+ critical for entry-level? What MCTS would be a good option? Is 640/642/646 too aggressive for someone who hasn't really done any advanced Windows stuff?

I got suckered by a Googlead and bought a comprehensive suite of Quickcert material. I've read mixed reviews, and it's too early to tell how good the material is. What other resources (as inexpensive as possible) would you suggest?

I really appreciate your insights. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were you, I'd load up on the Microsoft Certs and have the Second Shot option available if you need it. And if you want your A+ get that before the end of the year while it's still considered a lifetime certification.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try to match your certs to your experience. If it's entry level, try the MCSA path; you should be able to easily knock out 2x certs by June. I don't know much about CompTIA stuff but search around this forum for a general consensis on it validity. $300 may be a worthwhile investment. Check the job boards to see if how many positions ask for it.

I got my current sys admin job with only XP and Server2003 certs. But those certs also matched the experience I had.