Options

Brand new MCSE - need advice on the MCITP

I just earned my MCSE for 2003 the other day, and I still need to complete the Security portion with my Security+ cert. After I get that (should be a couple of weeks) I plan on starting my Server 2008 work. My question is what is the best study material for 70-647 and 70-649 as well as 70-646. I also will probably take 70-680 as the OS specific elective since I took Windows XP for my MCSE elective.

What study materials did people find the best for the 70-646, 647, 649 and 680 tests?

Also, does anyone have any advice as to the order I should take these tests? I've been so immersed in 2003 that I have not had time to look at 2008 much...

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually just used Windows 2008 Inside Out as my primary resource. I skimmed the Syngress upgrade guide as well, but it didn't really add a whole lot of value. I bought the Transcender exams as well, but I didn't even use the one for the upgrade since I forgot to reschedule my test and ended up just taking it on a whim. You're already going to know the vast majority of the material from the 2003 track.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I actually just used Windows 2008 Inside Out as my primary resource. I skimmed the Syngress upgrade guide as well, but it didn't really add a whole lot of value. I bought the Transcender exams as well, but I didn't even use the one for the upgrade since I forgot to reschedule my test and ended up just taking it on a whim. You're already going to know the vast majority of the material from the 2003 track.

My experience was similar to Dynamik's. I took it back when there were no real resources. I used Server 2008 Unleashed and did some stuff in SelfTest and MeasureUp (online).

I took the upgrade first, then Vista, then the EA exam. I don't think it would really matter how you do it. Since info from the 291/293/294 is still fresh for you I would say start off with the upgrade exam. And if you need to do a client exam pick the Win 7 as it was a much better learning experience than the Vista test was.