Options

MCSA opinion....

skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would like some opinions, please.

Next week I'm off all week. I've been studying for quite a while for the 270, and I feel pretty confident in a lot of things. With some brush up, passing would likely not be an issue.

However, there are a few things that I'm still ignorant on, like IIS and a few others.

I'm not worried that I wouldn't pass because of them, but rather I would like to understand it more as a whole before I even tried. While I do want certifications, I want as thorough an understanding as I can get by training.

I have several other books and such on the MCSA as a whole, and one in particular takes you through exercises on all the core exams.

Do you think it would be wise to just spend the training time (we're too broke to have any real vacation....) on working through ALL the core exercises? I think understanding Active Directory, IIS, and some other things more in-depth would strengthen my confidence on the 270 exam, and then I could more quickly follow-up with the 215 and 218.

Thoughts?
I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Setup a 2003 server & a XP machine. Install term. services, DNS, DHCP, use offline files from the XP tube to the 03 server, roaming pro's & setup IIS with webfolders and log in. The time you spend working on these issues are invalubale to the next level they will take you too.
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    Setup a 2003 server & a XP machine. Install term. services, DNS, DHCP, use offline files from the XP tube to the 03 server, roaming pro's & setup IIS with webfolders and log in. The time you spend working on these issues are invalubale to the next level they will take you too.

ooh! thanks!

I'm going to start with the 2k track (still so many around...), and then upgrade in year or so.

What I have done so far is hook up a small domain, Win2k advanced server, XP on a dell, win2k pro on an old compaq. They're on active directory. I plan to eventually upgrade a fileserver I have to 2k3 server and do the same, and have multiple 'domain controllers' working, or perhaps a parent/child domain. I mostly wanted to set it all up because I do much better with hands-on then I do just reading the theory.

I'm also not in a terrible hurry. i don't see any of the MS exams changing by next May, and the only one I want out of the way anytime soon is the Network +, which I'm sure I can pull off with just some review and some study of the OSI model.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Good plan. Books are great but no substitute for hands-on work. In my opinion, you use the book to discover the concepts, then use the hardware to pull it off.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.