Windows 7 and Samba

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello guys I'm currently in the process of undertaking a new project in which I am going to setup a PDC using Samba, LDAP, and Ubuntu server. I am eager to get hands on and start learning some more about Linux only problem is I have read numerous threads on the internet about people having problems with getting Windows 7 and Samba to behave nicely.

Has anyone managed to implement a PDC using Linux and 7 can it be done? alot of people seem to have difficulties in getting 7 to join the domain once setup. Which kinda sucks because now I am left with Windows 7 machines and Linux and I want to get them networked together but can't grrrrrrrr

Many Thanks for your help
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    This is most likely due to the change in authentication protocols. Vista was the first Microsoft OS to disable Lan Manager authentication by default. Lan Manager was a joint 3Com/MS network management OS that preceded Windows NT, although some of that technology carried forward. Now you have Lan Man, NTLM, NTLMv2 and Kerberos. Server 2008 and Windows 7 disable Lan Man by default as well, so to get them to connect to older Samba implementations that require Lan Man you will need to change group policy or a registry key to re-enable it.

You may experience authentication issues when you access a network-attached storage device after you upgrade to Windows Server 2008, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, or to Windows XP
    Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Security Configuration Editor
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just an FYI... I actually think you might have the same sort of issue with XP SP3 as well. At least that has been my experience.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

Never understood why people find fault in this.

If MS takes something that people like (and does so legally) and expands on it to make it better and then profits as a result, how is that bad?

Obviously people arent going to buy a lesser product when MS has "evolved" the technology to a much more mature state.

And people say MS doesnt innovate?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Samba 4 will emulate a "windows 2003 domain controller" however it isn't out yet. You can use the develop version and setup, which I've done, however I wouldn't recommend using this in a production environment. Like others have mentioned PDC and Windows 7 don't play nicely together.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Never understood why people find fault in this.

If MS takes something that people like (and does so legally) and expands on it to make it better and then profits as a result, how is that bad?

Obviously people arent going to buy a lesser product when MS has "evolved" the technology to a much more mature state.

And people say MS doesnt innovate?

Since MS helped develop SMB and Lan Manager, they are free to do with it what they like. It's the open-source SaMBa folks who have to catch up. Granted, MS doesn't make it easy by giving the community access to the SMB source code.

Lan Man and NTLMv1 are old authentication methods with lots of security holes. They were enabled by default forever for backwards compatibility but it's time to move on to better methods and updated software. Live in the now!
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Windows Server 2008 it is then ohdear it would appear I cannot afford £800 for the software. So currently I cannot setup a PDC using linux or Windows lol stumped any ideas?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□