PS3 Network Outage?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Slashdot and some of my local news stations are all reporting on a story about Sony's PS3 network being down. Apparently it only effects the older "fat" version of the consoles and not the slim version. Anyone experiencing this? Rumour has it that someone labeled 2010 as a leap year and it caused a bug in the time. Gotta love good good QA policies icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    it has something to do with the trophies and syncing your online profile i think.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Rumour has it that someone labeled 2010 as a leap year and it caused a bug in the time. Gotta love good good QA policies icon_rolleyes.gif
    Not sure why but there seem to be a lot of flaws or bugs in time and date calculation code in various products. Do they ignore the standard compiler library code (in theory correct) and just dig out some hacky library that they found on some random site on the internet? One of the first hacks for the PSP involved people exploiting a bug in an ancient copy of libtiff which Sony or the company that supplied the browser code had integrated.

It isn't just Sony that have made mistakes like this though. Google had issues with some calculation based on the date/time that affected the camera auto focus in Android. I'm puzzled as to how the current date even affected that function. I guess it involved some sort of timer and they just used the current timestamp and compared before and after. During certain periods, it wrapped I assume..
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And I was planning on finishing God of War tonight too. icon_sad.gif Love that the current solution is to not turn your PS3 on. Whoops, mine's been on since this morning.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Heck if you enjoy this sort of thing just buy a game on Steam.

Steam goes down more than dynamiks mom and even single player requires a connection to it.