logon script help

Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
I have a set of links I need to force onto all users machines. Currently, I am using gpedit to manage the links which works fine for now...but everytime any one of the links changes, I need to update my entire image collection, which is not really feasible just for one updated link.

Is there a way to do this via a logon script? There currently is a script running on all machines, but it only maps drives based on AD group membership. I'm pretty sure it can be done, I just don't have much experience with scripting...
i remain, he who remains to be....

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ricka182 wrote: »
    I have a set of links I need to force onto all users machines. Currently, I am using gpedit to manage the links which works fine for now...but everytime any one of the links changes, I need to update my entire image collection, which is not really feasible just for one updated link.

Is there a way to do this via a logon script? There currently is a script running on all machines, but it only maps drives based on AD group membership. I'm pretty sure it can be done, I just don't have much experience with scripting...

Place your links on a shared drive. Add a line to the script to copy the links to the location you need them ont he PCs.

For example:
    copy /Y Z:\logon_files\Desktop_icons "%USERPROFILE%\desktop\"

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If you have a 2008 DC, you can use GP Preferences to do this.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Here's some additional info on what I have to work with.. I believe we are using Server 2003, but regardless I have no access. I'm just a small part of a very large domain, with lots of restrictions. The clients are all Vista. There are no roaming profiles, or drives I could share the links with. There are only a few shared drives, and they each have their own limited user access based on group memberships. And I don't have access to all of the drives either, so I couldn't put the links on all of them anyway..

At this point, we are considering not putting these links in based on what we realistically have to do...if anyone can think of something else that works with the restrictions I am under that would be great..but for now, I'm still using gpedit..
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try this:

echo [InternetShortcut] > %userprofile%\desktop\TechExams.url
    echo URL=http://www.techexams.net/ >> %userprofile%\desktop\TechExams.url
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Need to enclose the %userprofile%\desktop\TechExams.url part in quotes because it echos as C:\Document and Settings\etc... with spaces.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Need to enclose the %userprofile%\desktop\TechExams.url part in quotes because it echos as C:\Document and Settings\etc... with spaces.

I'm not sure about XP, but it works in windows7
    +
    I tried the quotes and it echo's the sentence as is, with quotes and it does not work that way.