Forum that has active directory integration and screenshot postings

NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
I work in the IT department for my company which has remote offices all over the world. We all share information of common issues through a forum hosted internally. One of the setbacks I've seen is that the forum does not allow posting of screenshots which I think would be beneficial in troubleshooting.

Does anyone on this site use a forum that has features like Active Directory integration and allows the posting of screenshots?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    First thing that comes to mind would be Sharepoint.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SharePoint.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    And three for Sharepoint ;)

Sorry, it's a decent app for just what you are describing.icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, I totally disagree and say SharePoint...
  • disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the forum is hosted internally, why the trouble with AD authentication?

phpBB can do ldap: phpBB • View topic - Active Directory: LDAP not syncing users?
    Given the how easy it is to install and how flexible it is and the fact that WSS is free, I'm not sure why you would want to use anything else in a Windows environment.
    It comes with a Windows server licence, right? How many connections are allowed per licence? How do you define "free"?

Free like Notepad? icon_wink.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    disi wrote: »
    It comes with a Windows server licence, right? How many connections are allowed per licence? How do you define "free"?

Free like Notepad? icon_wink.gif

Free like download and install free.
    I looked it up for your:
    Because of Windows licensing restrictions, if you are using Windows Server 2003, Web Edition in a single server environment, you can only perform an Advanced, front-end Web server installation. This is because the full SQL Server editions cannot be installed on Windows Server 2003, Web Edition. In this scenario, you need to have a full SQL Server edition installed on a compatible edition of Windows Server 2003 for use with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. Windows Server 2003, Web edition does not support Basic installation of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
    Operating system

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 runs on Windows Server 2003 with SP1 or later. We recommend that you apply all critical updates. You can use the following Windows Server 2003 editions:
    • Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
    • Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
      Because of Windows licensing restrictions, if you are using Windows Server 2003, Web Edition in a single server environment, you can only perform an Advanced, front-end Web server installation. This is because the full SQL Server editions cannot be installed on Windows Server 2003, Web Edition. In this scenario, you need to have a full SQL Server edition installed on a compatible edition of Windows Server 2003 for use with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. Windows Server 2003, Web edition does not support Basic installation of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
    looks like:
    Either Windows Server 2003 with Windows SQL Server
    Or Windows Server 2008

//edit: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc288751.aspx
    You do not need SQL. You can run WSS 3.0 stand alone with the Windows Internal DB (WID). It is included in the Windows Server 2003/2008 license. I assume that if the person has AD they probably have one or more Windows Servers, so free as in there is no additional cost.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    disi wrote: »
    I looked it up for your:
    looks like:
    Either Windows Server 2003 with Windows SQL Server
    Or Windows Server 2008
    Any version of Windows Server 2003 or 2008 greater than Web Edition (which almost no one outside of hosting providers uses anyway) will do the job. There is no need for full blown SQL Server in a WSS install, SQL Server Express (MSDE) will do the job just fine and is included.
    astorrs wrote: »
    Any version of Windows Server 2003 or 2008 greater than Web Edition (which almost no one outside of hosting providers uses anyway) will do the job. There is no need for full blown SQL Server in a WSS install, SQL Server Express (MSDE) will do the job just fine and is included.

Good point. The Web Edition can only run front end stuff. It cannot run the DB so it would be out of the question for WSS using the WID. Keep in mind this is different than setting up a single server "farm" using SQL Server Express. The WID is not restricted to the 4GB size limit of SQL Express. I think it was 2 GB using the old MSDE. Additionally using the WID is ONLY an option using WSS 3.0 *not* using MOSS 2007. MOSS must use SQL Server of some sort (express, etc).

At my current job we use WSS 3.0 witht the WID. It's nice and responsive. I've had no issues in my environment and there are about 30 users at the moment (and growing) with about 5 sites.