Options

Work, Life, Goals and everything else

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

today I just wanted to share a few of my impressions and ideas that I have had lately and just want to know if I am the only person thinking like this or if there are more people that head for the same direction and maybe even have some advice.

I have been working in IT for 10 years now. I landed my first job right after (german) high school and still consider myself very lucky that it has been this way. I discovered my passion for Computers when I was about 12 and my parents got their first 386 to write letters and do business. During the first years my career has been going mostly uphill (from Junior Admin to Server Expert) and I was always striving for more money and power/responsibility. However, during the last years that has changed significantly.

At one of my 2008 job I was basically offered a small team-lead but turned it down since it didn't feel that was the right direction for me any more. I was happy with being the tech expert and not having to deal with all that management stuff. While this was probably a simple career decision (tech vs. management) I feel that my drive for IT is somehow slowing down. I think the real turning point was the death of my father that really showed me how precious life is and that there is not a single minute you can get back. I have since decided to turn my focus from work to life. My first step to do this was to ask my boss to work part time. Luckily he agreed and starting this week I work 34 hours in 4 days instead of 40 hours in 5 days.

I really hope that this will allow me to focus more on myself and my personal goals but on the other hand there is also a little fear (if you can call it that) that the colleagues will feel that I let them down and that I will not be respected as a full team member sometime down the road. On the other hand, there are so many things that have been on my personal to-do-list for way to long. Perfect example: I moved in 2003 and 2005 and there where a number of boxes that I never unpacked in between. Of course you could say "Just throw them away" but I want to see what's in there and figure out why I took it with me in the first place.

When I think about the way my job works I also feel a need for change. I have basically been a sysadmin for 10 years now and it bores the snap out of me to always fix the same problems and handle the same tasks. With the experience I have I can do a lot of things faster/more efficient then other admins do but I still feel that I am somehow not moving forward. I know that I don't want to go into management. I don't strive for power or money any more. I can pay my bills, buy a new toy (read video game, tech stuff, etc.) when I want it so what else could I probably need ? One thing that has lately crossed my mind is passing on my knowledge. When I talk to people who haven't been in the sysadmin-game that long I feel that I have quite a few tricks/experiences to pass along. This is one of the things I hope to do with my free time. Again, I don't want to do that for the money. I want to share knowledge with other people as it has been shared with me. I don't know how I will do this, either by producing CBTs, writing articles, a book, or some other way yet.

Well, now that I have written so much I should probably summarize my questions (if they are even that) so I get some answers icon_smile.gif

- Do you also feel that your IT-Job is taking to much of your life away ?
- Are you also looking for change in your job and life ?
- If you are not aiming on moving 'up', how do you find direction ?

Ok, this probably gotten completely off-topic but maybe someone still wants to discuss. Would love to read your thoughts...
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lordy wrote: »
    - Do you also feel that your IT-Job is taking to much of your life away ?

As a highly motivated person, I find that my life is enriched by pursuing goals with all that I have. I admire the best of the best in each industry..whether it be a business man, olympic athlete, etc. I almost feel like if I didn't have an IT job my life would not be the same. That's not to say I wouldn't do well, or make it, but I just don't know that I'd have the "fire" for another industry. Hard to say.
    - Are you also looking for change in your job and life ?

I'm looking for a change in the form of a job that allows me more freedom (training? consulting?), and is ultimately more challenging. I'd like to make a difference..in my small part of the IT world.
    - If you are not aiming on moving 'up', how do you find direction ?

I don't really know the answer to this. I feel if I stopped flying ('moving up'), I would drop like a rock to the earth and die. I always have to be moving in some way or another..in this case I'm referring to goals and life..

Also, make no mistake, I absolutely love my job and work hard to get where I want to go, but at the end of the day, I work for my family. I wouldn't go through all of the day to day stuff if it weren't for my family. I do it so that I can fufill my goals..in order to support them and give them the life they deserve.

As for the CBT's/articles: I think that is a great idea. I'm a big fan of "paying it forward" with regards to knowledge, so anything along the lines of offering training I think is a great idea.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I really don't think my job takes that much of my time, but my wife reminds me often that she thinks it does. It has been making me think lately how long I can go working 60 hours a week and still give my personal life the time it deserves. I really don't mind working long/after hours, but I do want to keep my family happy. Some time down the road I'm sure I'll move into less of a hands on role. Maybe design or something that doesn't require being on call or working maintenances after hours.

To your other two questions, I'm always looking to move up no matter what I do, and I'm always looking to improve my self by making changes. They don't always work out the way I want, but as long as I keep putting effort to move forward and better myself I'm ok with knowing I'm not settling.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i have ran into this thought many times. I am 29/single/no kids and since im considered a young adult to many older people, i guess many of my motivations are still materialistic like having nice cars, latest phones, money, etc. etc. To be honest for me at the moment of this writing, that drive along with paying off my school loans to have "MORE" money in my pocket is what keeps me going and not minding to work extra hours. I know sooner than later in a few years my attitude and goals in life will change. Since i know and understand this i know i will not be happy working overtime many hours over 40. Because of this i have plans to study wireless more heavily and eventually do consulting work or work for a firm that specializes in consulting for wireless installations. This is the only way i will make more money and work less hours. Like i have said before I am not always right in what i say.....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX