Options

Please evaluate my "from scratch" certification path!

ekidhardtekidhardt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi there!

I am the network admin for a small sbs03 network (40 users),(only IT guy) and I only have my A+ certification. I have lots of hands on experience, and virtually no education. My undergraduate degree is in Biology.

I have no experience with programming of any sort.

I'm going to give my resume some 'roids and am looking to learn a bunch of stuff regarding networking and administration so that I can get a better job. My current one pays me very little :)

I've done a lot of research but find it particularly hard to figure out exactly what path to take for my certifications, and I'm hoping that somebody might critique my plan. I have my A+.

My goal is to become a network administrator of some sort that makes 60+. I'll be happy with that :)

Cert 1: A+ (have it)
Cert 2: Network+ (60% done studying for this, will take it within 2 weeks)
Cert 3: Server+
Cert 4: CCENT (since it's fairly similiar to the Net+)
Cert 6: Security+ (heard this was hard?) this is to round out my resume.
Cert 7: MCITP (with some specialty)
Cert 8: MCDST (MS desktop support technician)

Then that'll complete what I think are my 'entry level' certs. Then I'll try for the harder ones, and I should have a solid foundation with the rest.

Cert 9: MCSA
Cert 10: Cisco CCNA
Cert 11: MCSE

And I think that's it.

My goal is to get certifications that employ knowledge I can use for future certs.

Am I missing anything? Would you take any additional tests?

I'm looking to have the first 8 certs within 3 months. I'm absolutely flying throughthe Net+ book I have--start to finish cert I'm aiming for 1 week or less (work week).

I would like any feedback possible! Let me know if I should change the order :)

Should I get a specialty cert? such as Exchange 03, or Server 08 etc? I'm totally fine for going for those as well.

Thank you guys!

e

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ekidhardt wrote: »
    Cert 1: A+ (have it)
    Cert 2: Network+ (60% done studying for this, will take it within 2 weeks)
    Cert 3: Server+
    Cert 4: CCENT (since it's fairly similiar to the Net+)
    Cert 6: Security+ (heard this was hard?) this is to round out my resume.
    Cert 7: MCITP (with some specialty)
    Cert 8: MCDST (MS desktop support technician)

Then that'll complete what I think are my 'entry level' certs. Then I'll try for the harder ones, and I should have a solid foundation with the rest.

Cert 9: MCSA
    Cert 10: Cisco CCNA
    Cert 11: MCSE

Just my thoughts, forget the Server+. CCENT can probably wait if you are already doing N+. MCITP isn't entry level and will probably be the best and biggest of the bunch. Stick that after N+ and forget the MCDST; that will seem quite low level.

If you want to earn more and already have experience, pitch yourself at a higher level. Don't waste time and money accumulating all the low end certs.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would say it depends on how fast you want it all. I would do the following but thats just me.

CCENT
    Security+
    CCNA
    maybe CCNA:S
    Linux+
    MCSA
    MCITP:SA

You'll want an understanding of both linux and windows so that why i mention linux+ and security knowledge can go along way so its a plus to get some know how in that area.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Network administrator can mean a lot of things and its a title loosly given to many people.

What do you want to support? Network (Cisco/Juniper) or Server (Microsoft/Linux) ?

Remember in Network you have many and i mean MANY! subfields. Wireless, Security, Voice, Routing and Switching, Design.

Depending on your interest , that whole cert path you mentioned will change dramatically. Get back to me and let me know, i will change up that list for you.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll tend to agree with the path kriscamaro has laid out. Since you are a network admin, aim for the bigger certs. compTIA certs are absolutely useless for a person with substantial experience. So from your list, I'd only do the MCITP and the CCNA/S+. Then like what chrisone said, what do you want to support, Cisco, Microsoft, Juniper or Linux?

Just another thing with the certs, try not to finger multiple holes at the same time. Dont mix them up too much, if you start with Microsoft, get an MCITP then maybe get a couple of Cisco ones. Maybe it's just me, but retaining information from multiple sources is difficult.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're planning to go for the CCNA, consider doing ICND2 right after ICND1. I believe there is some overlap, and ICND2 builds on ICND1, so you don't want to waste time having to relearn ICND1 topics when continuing with ICND2. I took the single CCNA exam, though, so maybe someone who did the separate exams could add their insight.
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    If you want to earn more and already have experience, pitch yourself at a higher level. Don't waste time and money accumulating all the low end certs.
    +1

If you want to be a systems admin at a bigger/better company, then just go for it, and spend less time on entry level certs. Start studying for the MCSA or MCITP: SA. Concurrent with this, spearhead some "advanced" projects that will beef up your resume... i.e. do anything above desktop support level possible. Since you're the sole IT guy in a small business, you can hopefully do this without much trouble.

This doesn't require a huge budget at all; you can write/improve logon scripts (only costs time, but it could reduce support calls), streamline updates with WSUS (free), improve the AD structure and add functionality (GPOs, etc.), improve various processes (backups, OS deployment, user provisioning, etc.), implement free monitoring tools (IDS, network utilization, etc.), and so on. Studying MCSA (or MCITP: SA) level certs will give you tons of ideas for projects in your environment.

Once you have the MCSA or MCITP: SA, and more importantly some experience to back them up, emphasize these things on your resume, reduce the emphasis on the desktop support stuff you do, and start applying to new jobs. This is similar to what I did, except I didn't really do certs until recently, and I was successful at progressing beyond the SMB environment I was in.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think having both a networking cert like CCNA and a sysadmin cert like MCSE/MCITP will make you stand out pretty well. Then again, it all depends on what you want to do.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I think having both a networking cert like CCNA and a sysadmin cert like MCSE/MCITP will make you stand out pretty well. Then again, it all depends on what you want to do.

I would agree with this since many jobs posted on Monster are a blend of Cisco, and Microsoft. I don't think the Linux+ will really help you out that much since it is not well known. You also may want to consider doing the MCITP:EA, and not doing the MCSE but that is up to you.

Good luck with whatever plan you decide to pursue. The important thing is that you put forth the effort to complete it.
  • Options
    hi guys,

thanks for all the responses! Helps me a lot.

My first question is then: Why not get all the certifications you can? They never look bad on a resume. My aim is to provide distinction for myself among a list of applicants.

If they see someone two people with an MCSE, both good picks, and one has a Net+, Server+, and Security+ --all things being equal, the more certified person would get the job. I can spare the certification costs :) ("investments")

The reason for the CCENT as well as the N+ is to be able to apply to more jobs. Some specifically ask for N+, others CCENT.

Mikedst:
    I guess since I don't have any certs, my book-knowledge is fairly limited. I know virtually no network theory/logic. I know how to do stuff generally, but not why. My reason for getting lower level certs is to build fundamentals prior to taking the more hardcore ones. I think it might help build my confidence up a bit too.

Chrisone:
    I guess it doesn't matter to me if I support Cisco or an MS product. I know nothing about Cisco though. Administration is administration to me--what matters more is the company, hours, benefits, and salary. :)

Honestly though, I would like to work for a small to medium sized company with not too many IT guys, which I would have a good amount of control over. I'd rather not work for a massive company with a huge IT staff in which I had administrative powers over a tiny aspect.

Security and Wireless seem interesting to me though.

Essendon:
    I do have 10ish years of experience, but the administrative work required of me at my company, as the only IT guy, is limited to non complicated things. I barely have to touch anything--I kind of feel like we have the capacity to deal with a few hundred end users, but I'm only dealing with about 12. The most demanding thing they do is 4 people using quickbooks at the same time. I built a quad core opteron server etc etc and it's simply underutilized. My company's entire data amounts to 200gigs...no..wait...201 gigs!

My point only is that I don't feel prepared to run anything much bigger because I've never had to deal with too much here. The most complicated thing was a server migration, for which we had to hire an MCSE consultant to do it (I helped). So I could aim high, but I'm afraid I simply don't know enough to run any serious business (for now!)

Overall--where I work, while paying on the far low end for a network admin, offers me a giant playground. I can do anything, which, means I have a great and flexible location to test things out. I just want enough experience doing these things so that I CAN be an admin for a larger company.

Thanks again for the reponses!

e
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My first question is then: Why not get all the certifications you can? They never look bad on a resume.

That depends! If you have a random group of certifications it can be very confusing for HR, and hiring managers. On the other hand if you are Mike and have a bunch of Cisco certs, or are Canadian friend and a bunch of Juniper certs, or Keatron and bunch of security certifications that is whole different can of worms. Remember that it's all about how you present your self.

Now on that thought, if you are doing certifications for motivation/education that is a whole different story. I like using certifications for education. I am considering doing the RFID+ in the future for the shear enjoyment/education it will provide.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why not get all the certifications you can? They never look bad on a resume.

Look up "Paper MCSE". Quality over quantity.

I do have 10ish years of experience

Is this actual paid experience with employer(s) that you can prove? There is a huge difference between "I've been working with computers since I was a kid" and "I did this project at this job and it benefited the company like this".
  • Options
    I totally agree with the Paper MCSE idea. A college diploma ensures nothing either, but it's where you start.

My personal experience looks like this: 2000-2003, IT guy for a small company. Ran everything in the company on an exchange/win 2k server. Remote stuff, backups etc. 2004-2005 assistant network admin.

2005-2007 was a student, part time stuff wherever. Now, and I've been working at my current company as a general network admin for 1.5 years.

I've been working IN computers since I was a teenager--so like 16 years. I've been working professionally with computers since 2000, I've worked as an admin assistant for about 4 ish years, and purely as a network admin, 1.5 years.

I have enough hands on that I took my A+ without studying and did great.

So..if I'm putting on my resume--how much experience? I just updated mine and put 5 years doing administrative duties. Which is true, but being the sole boss of my network--1.5 years. But then, how often is it anyone is the lowest, and highest ranking IT guy in a company at the same time?

Anywho!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But then, how often is it anyone is the lowest, and highest ranking IT guy in a company at the same time?

well I pretty much fit that bill. In a network team of 20+ people I am both a help desk engineer and the physical/Cisco network Admin.

So my job ranges from fixing a broken hard drive, to planning £50K + projects, along side all the day to day configuration of the current network.

I think the certs you want should be ones that reflect you experience level, or the level you are proficient working to on a live network.

There is also little point getting multiply basic certifications that cover the same thing. Ie. network + and CCENT. and employer wants to see varied skills not the same skill demonstrated over and over again. They are going to look at your top 2 or 3 certs to get an idea where you are, and if they like them may be glance over the rest.

A company may ask for the net+ exam rather than the CCENT. but at the end of the day all they want is an idea that you have the skill set they require.

I don't think any of the lower end certifications really make a big difference to a CV/resume. there are just to many people who have them with out the experience to back them up.

A 60K + job is going to require you to have at least 4 or 5 years experience behind you. and that's assuming you fly through the ranks against all the other people trying to do the same thing.

Personal I would look for 1 or 2 areas that really interest you, and in that period work towards achieving high end certifications in both.

For the 60K+ jobs people don't care if you have a CCNP/CCIE, etc etc. They are going to expect that. But they want to see that you have the expertise in specific areas. Just like if you have a degree, people no longer look at your high school grades. Once you have mid to high end IT certification, no one is going to look back at the entry level ones.

If you look at job descriptions they have things like

CCNP, HSRP, MPLS, VPN, BGP, linux, Apache, Exchange 2007.....

This is like saying we want someone who has working knowledge of these technologies to the equilivent of the CCNP level or above.

And over here a job description like the above you may be looking at 30-40K, I jsut looked and jobs offering 60K are asking for around 9 years experience and previous managmant experience. IT is deffently a field that you have to prove your self in with hands on work. before you start looking at the "big money"
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.