Web Content Filter

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone, got directive from management to deploy some sort of web content filtering to two small clients. End goal is to keep people off social networking, spyware laden sites and ****s.

They want $0 (of course) and asked me to look into Squid. I did some looking around and it seem all it does it caching.

Is there a package I am missing or something? Best I can tell it doesn't do what they want me to do with it.

thanks in advance,
-Daniel

Comments

• L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Linux.com :: Using squidGuard for content filtering

I think that should get you started in the right direction with Squid/SquidGuard. I think pfSense and Untangle can also be set up for content filtering as well. They are both free.99 as well.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good info thanks. Testing a VM tonight and sharing my findings Friday.
    -Daniel
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at untangle. I'm thinking of testing that out here, as I think I've got a few remote users who are using our terminal servers to get past their company's content filtering. We block social networking stuff, but that's about it.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Look at untangle. I'm thinking of testing that out here, as I think I've got a few remote users who are using our terminal servers to get past their company's content filtering. We block social networking stuff, but that's about it.

+1

I've used Untangle in a few places. It does fairly well. OpenDNS is another option. Or maybe a combination of the two.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    +4 Untangle is great.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    Nuwin wrote: »
    OpenDNS is another option.

+1

OpenDNS is very easy to use and it does a great job.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll throw out another vote for OpenDNS.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One more vote for Untangle. Have ~30 of them in the field and they do a fine job.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    untangle or dans guardian. Have not looked at either lately but i think they are both still current.