Options

Another home lab...

kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
With everyone showing off their labs I figured I'd join in. My lab isn't specifically designed with the CCIE in mind but it's more appropriate here than anywhere else. It's not quite finished which explains the power cable fire hazard and the lack of Cat5, which I hope to correct this weekend.

rackn.jpg

From top to bottom:
1-3: Intend to put my cable modem, 871W and ASA5505 here.
4: HP ProCurve 2824 gigabit L3 switch for my home network.
5: Cable Management
6: 2950
7: 2950
8: Cable Management
9: 3550
10: 3550
11: Cable Management
12: Patch Panel
13-16: Dynamips server w/ 17 NICs, 16 will connect to patch panel above the other will connect to my home network.
17: Olive (Nokia IP330)
18: 2511 - Access Server
19: 2523 - Frame Relay Switch
20: 2620XM
21: 2610
22: 2610
23: 2611
24: MC3810
25: MC3810
26: 2514
27-28: 3640
29-30: 3640
31-32: Empty
33-35: APC AP9225 network PDU and two expansion units.
36: Empty

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Now THAT is a rack!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Glad it wasn't a meth lab!

That's pretty sweet! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Are you crazy!?! You don't put those in your home! That's what the shed is for! :D
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    I think in the networking world, routers and switches are the equivalent of gnomes for gardiners.

They just keep multiplying :)
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

C'mon, it's not like he lives in Missouri..
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    C'mon, it's not like he lives in Missouri..

Haha, actually I live in Alaska, which may be worse. We have some pretty awful stuff up here.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Haha, actually I live in Alaska, which may be worse. We have some pretty awful stuff up here.

Alaska..<insert eskimo joke here>...haha. I have only had the pleasure of flying through the Anchorage airport once, but it was absolutely beautiful from the sky. I'd definitely like to visit again someday..the only problem is I'll be shivering like a wet chihuahua when it hits 50F here..can't imagine subzero temperatures.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    I'd definitely like to visit again someday..the only problem is I'll be shivering like a wet chihuahua when it hits 50F here..can't imagine subzero temperatures.

Summers are really nice... well, sometimes summers are really nice. If you don't like the cold then this is definitely not the place for you in the winter, tomorrow I'm going out to a town that got to -90F last year, but it looks like it'll be in the high teens or low twenties while I'm there.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'm going out to a town that got to -90F last year.

-90F! I'm from a place that used to get pretty cold (-15F sometimes, but usually -5 to 20 degrees in the winter), but it's been years since I've seen lower than 32. It's my opinion that anything below 20 feels the same..however I now believe that there is a big difference between -90F and 0F..and I hope I never find out.
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Yeah Cali boy born and raised. Here, it's cold when its below 60 man ;) Nice rack :)
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    What type of computer are you using for your Dynamips server?
  • Options
    sides14 wrote: »
    What type of computer are you using for your Dynamips server?

I built it myself using a Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 motherboard (because it has four PCI slots) with 8GB of RAM and an Athlon II X3 435, which I was able to unlock the fourth core on. I used four Znyx ZX346Q quad port NICs for connecting to my physical lab. The case is a Norco RPC-430, which I had to modify so that the giant NICs would fit.

The OS is a stripped down Ubuntu install with a few tweaks and scripts to fit the environment to my liking. One thing I was particularly proud of and pleased with was the python script I wrote to control the APC PDU. I can control and access everything in the rack through a single ssh session to the server.

I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet, but it's worked for the little bit of security labbing I've done so far.
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Can you post a photo showing the side of the rack and the greatest dimension? I placed my rack in the closet so it would be out of site. I would like to add a Dynamips server server to my rack, but I am worried about the depth of the server (cooling).
  • Options
    sides14 wrote: »
    Can you post a photo showing the side of the rack and the greatest dimension? I placed my rack in the closet so it would be out of site. I would like to add a Dynamips server server to my rack, but I am worried about the depth of the server (cooling).

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. The case I used isn't very deep; less than or on par with the 3640s and 48 port 3550 (about 16'').