Options

Top 3 CCIE books

rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
To all the CCIE guys...

For the R&S track, can you name the top 3 most important books that anyone looking for a CCIE in R&S should purchase...

Thanks
CCIE# 38186
showroute.net

Comments

• Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Multicast book by Beau Williamson SP? is good. Routing TCP/IP V1 um yeah maybe Odom's book. A QOS book would be good but I hate to call any of the ones I read top 3 in any category. Likely it depends heavily on your strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me..SO FAR..I'd say:

1) Routing TCP/IP Vol I
    2) QoS Exam certification guide
    3) ?? I'm reluctant to say "LAN Switching", although it has a few great chapters, the entire book may not be top three worthy, but I haven't read it all to be honest, so I don't know. Maybe TCP/IP Vol II..or Internet Routing Architectures..hear nothing but good things about those, but I have yet to read them.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doyle Routing TCP/IP
    Clark/Hamilton Cisco LAN Switching (though it could use an update)
    Halibi/McPherson Internet Routing Architectures
    Odom QoS Exam Certification Guide

Of course my first thought was just to put Doyle, Doyle, Doyle,OdomQoS. And I still insist on counting both volumes as one book.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I guess I will mention that Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols is the one "CCIE Book" that I can currently grab without leaning or reaching.

And the Cisco Field Manuals (Catalyst Switch Configuration, and Router Configuration) are also within easy reach.

But ALL the Doyles -- volumes 1 and 2 of both the 1st and 2nd editions -- are within lean/reach range. And so are the 3rd and 4th editions of the CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide.

And while these aren't the droids you're looking for, you're going to want to read Odom's QoS Exam Certification Guide too.
  • Options
    apd123 wrote: »
    Multicast book by Beau Williamson SP? is good.
    Yep, that's right -- Beau Williamson, Developing IP Multicast Networks, Volume 1

It would probably make my top 5 or 6. There was the rumor a year or so back that there would be an updated edition, but I'd settle for Volume 2 instead. Haven't heard anything since.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Here's how I see it so far:

Doyle 1
    Doyle 2

Cert guide
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I'm thinking Doyle 1 and 2, and the Cert guide, as you have to get past the written first.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know i have no business here as your looking for CCIE input only, but i guess out of my own views i cant see myself studying for the CCIE with only three books. I personally am looking at 5 to 8 books for both my Written and Labs.

1. Routing TCP IP v1
    2. Routing TCP IP v2
    3. CCIE R&S cert guide
    4. QOS cert guide
    5. MPLS fundamentals
    6. BCMSN or Switch CCNP book
    7. Troubleshooting CCNP.
    8. Some security book .....

Perhaps there are 1 or 2 other books i could use but so far my paranoid self cant seem to believe i can pass this mammoth test with three books hehehe
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Depends on your current level of knowledge. CCNP was pretty good for layer 2 info at this point, I feel very strong in that area, so it obviously was adequate. It's been pretty much review so far for layer 2. I expect that to change with some of the other topics of course.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    It surprises me that so many speak highly of the cert guide. Doyle's books, Odom's..they're not only full of information and facts, but they actually teach..and they're "easy" reads as far as I'm concerned. The CCIE exam cert guide is a book loaded with facts..it does a good job of having a lot of info, but if I wanted to learn switching I would pick up the BCMSN/LAN Switching..so that's not saying a lot for it.

That being said, I view reading it as a necessity simply because it's tailored to the written exam, but I don't know that I would say it's a great read.
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Inside Cisco IOS Architecture
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    It surprises me that so many speak highly of the cert guide. Doyle's books, Odom's..they're not only full of information and facts, but they actually teach..and they're "easy" reads as far as I'm concerned. The CCIE exam cert guide is a book loaded with facts..it does a good job of having a lot of info, but if I wanted to learn switching I would pick up the BCMSN/LAN Switching..so that's not saying a lot for it.

That being said, I view reading it as a necessity simply because it's tailored to the written exam, but I don't know that I would say it's a great read.

Who wrote this cert guide? I probably read it but read so many Cisco press I don't remember. If I have I will let you know if I think it is legit.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

None of the Cisco Press certification guides are meant to "teach" you the subject. They are there for a quick and dirty review of the facts needed to pass the exam. If you need to actually learn anything for the topics I'd suggest you not try to use the certification guide for that. It does an excellent job of its intended purpose of providing a good review of the facts though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    None of the Cisco Press certification guides are meant to "teach" you the subject. They are there for a quick and dirty review of the facts needed to pass the exam. If you need to actually learn anything for the topics I'd suggest you not try to use the certification guide for that. It does an excellent job of its intended purpose of providing a good review of the facts though.

The QoS Exam cert guide, IMO, does a fantastic job of teaching the subjects.

I have a hard time believing every single person here who listed the exam cert guide already knew 90-100% of the topics, but just wanted review. I'm not above saying that I don't know everything in the cert guide, but that's why I use supplemental materials. To each his own, maybe I am just a harsher critic than most.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I'll agree with Mike that the Doyle books should be considered the same book, just split up to make transportation a little easier.

I also agree with LAN Switching, as it's the best treatise on STP I've read, but it is quite dated. I would be absolutely thrilled with a new edition.

At this point, I'd also put Caslow's book in the top three. Like LAN Switching, it's quite dated, but the information that is still relevant is very very good. I may change my opinion after reading through the Odom book in it's entirety though.

But honestly, what serious CCIE candidate is going to read just three books? :)
  • Options

That's usually true for most of the Exam Certification Guides. Odom's books, otoh, tend to take a different tack. If I remember right in the forward for the QoS exam cert guide, he state that the goals of the book were to teach the material for practical use, teach the material in order to pass the exam, and make the book thorough and relevant enough to remain on the shelf as a reference once the exam was completed.

So I pretty much treat any Exam Certification Guide with Odom's name on it as though it were an Authorized Self-Study Guide, because that's what it really is
  • Options
    On a side note, sometimes I sit back and look at the recommended list of materials for the CCIE..it's mind bottling!

At this point I've read probably 10% of what's "recommended", and have a long way to go.
  • Options
    The QoS Exam cert guide, IMO, does a fantastic job of teaching the subjects.

I have a hard time believing every single person here who listed the exam cert guide already knew 90-100% of the topics, but just wanted review. I'm not above saying that I don't know everything in the cert guide, but that's why I use supplemental materials. To each his own, maybe I am just a harsher critic than most.

I agree the QoS exam cert guide and the CCNA cert guides from Odom do a good job of teaching, but the CCIE book doesn't do a very good job of teaching anything. I've read the book twice and used it as a review only after reading other sources. I'm sure I'll end up reading it at least one more time before I take the written for some brushing up on topics.

I don't think you are a harsh critic, just that you are critisizing the book on something its simply not written to do. If it is written to teach, then I agree its a horrible book :)
  • Options
    That's usually true for most of the Exam Certification Guides. Odom's books, otoh, tend to take a different tack. If I remember right in the forward for the QoS exam cert guide, he state that the goals of the book were to teach the material for practical use, teach the material in order to pass the exam, and make the book thorough and relevant enough to remain on the shelf as a reference once the exam was completed.

So I pretty much treat any Exam Certification Guide with Odom's name on it as though it were an Authorized Self-Study Guide, because that's what it really is

Have you read the book? You will be very disappointed if you try to treat it as a self study guide.
  • Options
    I don't think you are a harsh critic, just that you are critisizing the book on something its simply not written to do.

Maybe. To be honest, I think it just depends on your personal reasons for reading that particular material, you know? I purchased the CCIE exam cert guide to be a framework for my studying. After reading Odoms stuff, and Doyle, I've come to be sort of spoiled. It's not always a bad thing that the exam cert guide doesn't go into detail. Until the CCIE, I have not cross-referenced as many topics for another cert as I already have in a month of studying for this thing.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, so maybe in a year I'll say the exam cert guide was awesome.
  • Options
    Have you read the book? You will be very disappointed if you try to treat it as a self study guide.

Not in it's entirety, I've read through the BGP sections in preparation for the BGP exam, and it's good, but it's certainly not a perfect replacement for the Routing TCP/IP 2 sections or the Halabi book. In most cases, Odom is good enough, but relying on a single source for CCIE study is absolute folly, I don't think anyone would tout it as the single source you need to study in order to pass the Written
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doyle and Caslow for the rudiments. Odom CCIE R&S is about the best all in one we have (since Giles) but it will not suffice if you dont have the foundation.
  • Options
    yes, though if I remember right, there should be a second edition of Volume II available soon, so you may want to hold off on that purchase
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    So i have both the BCMSN Cisco Press books. And switching is where most of my experience is. Would the info in the BCMSN books be on par with the Cisco LAN switch books?

I mean, there is only so many ways to explain how spanning-tree works...

Thoughts?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The most important part in a Cisco lab exam is to know by heart the DocCD site.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    On a side note, sometimes I sit back and look at the recommended list of materials for the CCIE..it's mind bottling!

At this point I've read probably 10% of what's "recommended", and have a long way to go.

Curiously... of that list how much did you end up reading?
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is an old thread.

Mrock4 did go on to get his CCIE R&S and Datacenter.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Still curious to see if he ended up finding he needed to read all the material ;)
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    maybe PM him.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX