Problem with my 1721

blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
I've just bought a 1721 from Ebay with max memory(32F/128D), wic-1adsl & a wic 1enet

I bought it for 3 reasons - very cheap, keep my lab and home network connected to the internet (2 different subnets) & to practice setting up VPNs (to my 2620xm).

Fired it up and said image to big for available memory, and I was landed in ROMMON.

I when I finally found an image to boot the router & sh ver. It states I have 16MB flash & 32 MB Dram. Opened router up and memory DIMM slot is empty.

I looked on Cisco site and found that the 1721 should have a default 32MB flash and 64 MB DRAM.

Also when I save the config and then reload, it goes back to setup.

I think I've been had icon_sad.gif

Any advice other than hunt down the seller ;)

P.S. Ebay description did say "100% working"
Currently studying:
CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
Everything. Twice ;)

Comments

• bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    blackninja wrote: »
    I've just bought a 1721 from Ebay with max memory(32F/128D), wic-1adsl & a wic 1enet

I bought it for 3 reasons - very cheap, keep my lab and home network connected to the internet (2 different subnets) & to practice setting up VPNs (to my 2620xm).

Fired it up and said image to big for available memory, and I was landed in ROMMON.

I when I finally found an image to boot the router & sh ver. It states I have 16MB flash & 32 MB Dram. Opened router up and memory DIMM slot is empty.

I looked on Cisco site and found that the 1721 should have a default 32MB flash and 64 MB DRAM.

Also when I save the config and then reload, it goes back to setup.

I think I've been had icon_sad.gif

Any advice other than hunt down the seller ;)

P.S. Ebay description did say "100% working"

I would look up the price plus shipping for flash memory and email the seller and ask that they compensate you for that costs or send you some flash memory so you can replace it. It sounds like it's bad memory but did you check the configuration register to make sure you're loading the correct one. The reason I ask is because you said you save the config and then reload and it goes back to setup. Make sure you're using the right config register.

Good luck I hope they rectify the issue. It could have been a simple mistake on their part and they will make it right. At the same time maybe they tried to rip you off.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Thanks for your reply.

On the 1721s the flash can't be changed, only Dram can be upgraded.

The config saves now, I hadn't changed the config-reg back after changing IOS - I know school boy error [hangs head in shame]
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    Thanks for your reply.

On the 1721s the flash can't be changed, only Dram can be upgraded.

The config saves now, I hadn't changed the config-reg back after changing IOS - I know school boy error [hangs head in shame]

Oh I see good to know I have two 1721's at home. It's always the small simple thing that I miss as well.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    The 32MB Flash versions have a little "32M" symbol near the ethernet port. The earlier versions had 16MB of flash.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    I've haven't got the 32M symbol icon_sad.gif

So I'm stuck with 16 MB of flash?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    I've haven't got the 32M symbol icon_sad.gif

So I'm stuck with 16 MB of flash?
    I'm sure they are not upgradable.

It's very curious when you first booted it, it said "image to big" - very suspect.

I guess you could try to return it but there is always a chance you could sell the two wics on ebay and make most if not all of your money back and get to keep the router.

I've got a feeling that it was the just Dram he removed before sending it to me.

Maybe the image would fit on flash but didn't have enough memory when expanded.

Do you know what's the max memory for the older 1721s?

128MB?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    I've got a feeling that it was the just Dram he removed before sending it to me.

Maybe the image would fit on flash but didn't have enough memory when expanded.

Do you know what's the max memory for the older 1721s?

128MB?
    The Cisco PDF I have describing the memory capacties state 128MB but that would mean getting a 96MB simm!!!!!

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mikem2te wrote: »
    The Cisco PDF I have describing the memory capacties state 128MB but that would mean getting a 96MB simm!!!!!
    The 32MB flash versions came with 64MB built into the motherboard so you'd add a 64MB DIMM to get 128MB in total.
    You could Ninja on the seller....
    Cisco has some good PDFs on memory, performance etc-
    Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central

tiersten wrote: »
    The 32MB flash versions came with 64MB built into the motherboard so you'd add a 64MB DIMM to get 128MB in total.
    I think the router in question is the 16MB flash version.

bcall64 wrote: »
    You could Ninja on the seller....

LOL
    It just may come to that ;)

Thanks guys, I'll see what the seller comes back with.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Did you buy from a seller called 't0muk' by any chance? I recently was bidding on a 1721 with adsl/enet, altho i missed that and got one without the enet card.

Mine is also the 32mb/16mb version.

I just recently bought a 32mb ram upgrade for it also, just running an old base 12.3 image at the moment.

Cisco 32mb 1700 Dram Memory MEM1700-32D MEM1700-64U96D on eBay (end time 12-Mar-10 15:44:42 GMT)

^^

Also if you wanna get around the lack of flash size you can always boot the image from a tftp server (bit of a pain but what the hey)

'boot system' command ;)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    hexem wrote: »
    Did you buy from a seller called 't0muk' by any chance? I recently was bidding on a 1721 with adsl/enet, altho i missed that and got one without the enet card.

Mine is also the 32mb/16mb version.

I just recently bought a 32mb ram upgrade for it also, just running an old base 12.3 image at the moment.

Cisco 32mb 1700 Dram Memory MEM1700-32D MEM1700-64U96D on eBay (end time 12-Mar-10 15:44:42 GMT)

^^

Also if you wanna get around the lack of flash size you can always boot the image from a tftp server (bit of a pain but what the hey)

'boot system' command ;)

That's the guy - took 2 weeks t post it to me too!

It told me it was maxed out, at the very least he owes me a Dram upgrade.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    wow, mine arrived in a few days, im glad i didn't win that one :P

i didn't see any dram/flash specifications in his listings so just bought it in hope's id get something usable for cheap...

I doubt he know's what he's doing, he left the old config and everything intact gave me some fun doing a password reset tho.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

I think the router in question is the 16MB flash version.
    It is. Just saying thats how you get 128MB on a 1721. It unfortunately has to be one of the revised models. Blame Cisco for having two distinct models with the same model number.
    tiersten wrote: »
    It is. Just saying thats how you get 128MB on a 1721. It unfortunately has to be one of the revised models. Blame Cisco for having two distinct models with the same model number.
    Sorry, misunderstood your comment.

I'm very fond of the 1721, it is the first router I ever bought. I remember the excitment getting it out of the box and loading up Cisco Config Maker.

Oh, it's still possible to download that tool. Time for some nostalgia. Lets see if it works on Windows 7.

The old 1721 will max out at 96MB but most probably anything you can squeeze into the limited flash won't want more than that anyway. Not sure about the 1721 but the 1720 you can disable squeeze support for flash and recover a little more extra space.

What feature set did you want to run on the 1721 anyway? It might be okay with 96MB anyway even if Cisco say 128MB.

If this really does bridge your 2 networks and the internet then you probably don't want it TFTP booting or running with limited memory however...
    wow, mine arrived in a few days, im glad i didn't win that one :P

i didn't see any dram/flash specifications in his listings so just bought it in hope's id get something usable for cheap...

I doubt he know's what he's doing, he left the old config and everything intact gave me some fun doing a password reset tho.

I asked him for a sh ver, but he just said he couldn't, but the router was maxed out.

I can't seem to find an image for ADSL for only 32 MB Dram, I'm sure 48 MB is the min for ADSL?

I wanted to use router to practice setting up VPNs, so I guess need one for security & ADSL.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    Yeh 48 is the minimum for an IP/ADSL image.

I'm currently running 12.3 base image, using pppoatm/atm interface for my dsl connection, everything's working fine, altho i had to adjust the MTU and MSS for tcp to get it working, it was set 4000+ for some reason.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

I asked him for a sh ver, but he just said he couldn't, but the router was maxed out.

I can't seem to find an image for ADSL for only 32 MB Dram, I'm sure 48 MB is the min for ADSL?

I wanted to use router to practice setting up VPNs, so I guess need one for security & ADSL.
    I think you'd struggle to get 12.4 in 32MB. 64 would be a reasonable minimum, 96 for plenty of breathing space.

If you are looking for memory, I believe 2600xm memory is compatible with the 1700 series - it may be easier to get hold of.

EDIT : I maxed out my 2600xm's with memory from "cdmoonbaby" on ebay. It comes from China so it takes a while to arrive but it's pretty cheap and brand new.

I think you'd struggle to get 12.4 in 32MB. 64 would be a reasonable minimum, 96 for plenty of breathing space.

If you are looking for memory, I believe 2600xm memory is compatible with the 1700 series - it may be easier to get hold of.

EDIT : I maxed out my 2600xm's with memory from "cdmoonbaby" on ebay. It comes from China so it takes a while to arrive but it's pretty cheap and brand new.

Thanks, I'm still hoping the seller will do the right thing.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I never buy anything from Ebay that doesn't have a show version. I may miss out on some good buys but at least I know what I am expecting. Plus, it gives me a valid reason for placing a dispute and leaving negative feedback if they don't produce the item as listed. Live and learn. icon_twisted.gif
    I never buy anything from Ebay that doesn't have a show version. I may miss out on some good buys but at least I know what I am expecting. Plus, it gives me a valid reason for placing a dispute and leaving negative feedback if they don't produce the item as listed. Live and learn. icon_twisted.gif
    It's a tricky one, sometimes the ebay listings without the 'show ver' can yeild fantastic bargains - often the sellers do not know what they are selling and as they have no 'show ver' people tend not to bid. I picked up an 1721 with a vwic-1mft-e1 for £30, resale value on ebay about £65. Very risky but it can pay off. I've been had twice but on the whole I am slightly up.

I missed out today on another 1721 with what I believe was a another vwic-1mft-e1 - it went for £22. I would have taken the risk if my computer didn't pick that moment to crash.

He who dares wins ;)

In all fairness, I have bought a lot of stuff from ebay and this is the only time, I've been burnt (from a seller with 100% with 130 positive feedback).

He may put things right, although he is ignoring my mails - he's got until lunch time tomorrow before he gets neg feedback.

mikem2te

+1
    I've recently got a 2620xm without a sh ver for £45 inc p+p, 128D & 32F with wic -2t card.
    Had no IOS installed but easy fix :)
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    RESULT :)

The seller that sold me the router has offered me a refund

&

I get to keep the router

Can't ask for better then that, can I?
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    nice one, can't go wrong there lol.

I just got my 32mb dram module for my 1721, installed it today and have advanced security running, takes about 13mb of flash tho and not enough room for SDM installation, but it's all good, i plan to play around with vpn's also.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

nice one, can't go wrong there lol.

I just got my 32mb dram module for my 1721, installed it today and have advanced security running, takes about 13mb of flash tho and not enough room for SDM installation, but it's all good, i plan to play around with vpn's also.

Just install SDM on your PC - runs much faster anyway
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    Awesome glad to hear it all worked out. Like I said he may make it right. :)