Options

Quick advice on my cert Course...

JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I have been doing a lot of research on the boards here and think I am modifying my original cert course which was as follows:

A+ > Network+ > CCNA > Security+ for this year.

Pretty much what I have seen is if you are going for the CCNA, go for the CCNA and don't worry about the Network+. I have the Mike Meyers study book for Network+ and have been flipping through it here and there and it looks like most of it is what the CCNA covers, well not in detail like the CCNA.

Anyways, I think this would be a better path:

A+ > CCNA > Security+ (or another CCNA cert, possibly Voice) for this year, maybe something else towards the end of the year.

I have my A+ on the 29th of this month so I am in study mode for that. I am already enrolled in Cisco Academy and I am taking a Cisco class at college.

Instead, though, I have decided to do the self-study mode as well for the CCNA, in which I have a few study books, lab books, CBT Nuggets and a full lab I built.

So, anyway, does the second path sound a bit better?

I am shooting towards the Network career, hoping in a few months God Willing I will be working at schools with a buddy as part of their IT staff.

Thanks,
-Jon
Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like your second path better (A+, CCNA, Security+) , however CCNA will be a very difficult exam for you. The amount of detail and complexity is a lot more than the security+. The security+ is all theory based while the CCNA is more hands on designing/implementing/troubleshooting, which is a lot of information in two very thick books. If you take the CCNA and pass you will laugh at the security+ book and just be annoyed of taking it. If you really want the security+ do (A+,Secuirty+, then CCNA.) You also mentioned you are looking at doing the other CCNA exams, trust me once you pass your CCNA and your looking into the next CCNAs you wont even bother with the security+, it will just be an annoying exam you are trying to knock out. By this time Security+ will do nothing for a network career.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    I like your second path better (A+, CCNA, Security+) , however CCNA will be a very difficult exam for you. The amount of detail and complexity is a lot more than the security+. The security+ is all theory based while the CCNA is more hands on designing/implementing/troubleshooting, which is a lot of information in two very thick books. If you take the CCNA and pass you will laugh at the security+ book and just be annoyed of taking it. If you really want the security+ do (A+,Secuirty+, then CCNA.) You also mentioned you are looking at doing the other CCNA exams, trust me once you pass your CCNA and your looking into the next CCNAs you wont even bother with the security+, it will just be an annoying exam you are trying to knock out. By this time Security+ will do nothing for a network career.

Agreed! I do see the CCNA as a difficult, so I decided to take the serious approach to it. Even though going to a "Cisco" class at the college is great, their speed of covering 1 chapter in an hour is ridiculous to me. There is no way to soak in the information when you speed through each page. Whats more, they split the class into two separate classes over two semesters.

Anyways, if I have learned anything over the years, I have learned self-studying with a lot of resources is the best way to go.

I am very interested in the voice side of things, so I do wish to set my sights on the Cisco's voice. I see what you are saying about the Security+, it probably will be self evident where I will be at with my cert level and career level that Security+ wont be such a good choice.

-Jon
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jonk wrote: »
    Even though going to a "Cisco" class at the college is great, their speed of covering 1 chapter in an hour is ridiculous to me. There is no way to soak in the information when you speed through each page.
    Are you reading the chapters before the corresponding lectures? If you haven't, then of course it will seem too fast.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Are you reading the chapters before the corresponding lectures? If you haven't, then of course it will seem too fast.

I usually read the chapters right after the lecture, noting down in the lecture key points as I study. Usually the key points brought from the lecture are off of Cisco's powerpoints, which we have access to, so I usually use that as well, more so do everything at home, heh.

I am more of a fan of self studying, the lectures are usually a bonus to ask questions, etc.