CCNA - ICND1 exam

AroniaAronia Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! I just failed this B****y exam for the 4th time today and can't understand why??? I've read Odom's book that many times the hard cover is now a paperback. I don't particularly like the way he's written it and have now turned to Todd Lamle's Book which is down to earth and a lot less vague. I must say I'm frustrated at the way the questions are written since they appear to be totally ambiguous, however, my biggest bug bare is the feedback form given by the test centre doesn't give feedback on individual questions but areas of study eg Security. Is it me or are these exams a money spinning excercise? Has ANYONE actually passed these exams?

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Aronia wrote: »
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! I just failed this B****y exam for the 4th time today and can't understand why??? I've read Odom's book that many times the hard cover is now a paperback. I don't particularly like the way he's written it and have now turned to Todd Lamle's Book which is down to earth and a lot less vague. I must say I'm frustrated at the way the questions are written since they appear to be totally ambiguous, however, my biggest bug bare is the feedback form given by the test centre doesn't give feedback on individual questions but areas of study eg Security. Is it me or are these exams a money spinning excercise? Has ANYONE actually passed these exams?
    Don't give up, you are doing a good thing moving to the Lamle book. Both ODOM and Lammle books are good but the writing styles are different, the change of writing style may be the thing you need to crack it.

Good luck.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • AroniaAronia Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I will. It would be a lot easier if I could get secure my first I.T job, preferably in network admin.
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Don't sweat it dude, i agree the odom's book is not easy to digest for a beginner, lammle's will help a big deal (i watched his video's and finally managed to get subnetting covered) and that's the main thing, you really need to know subnetting like the back of you're hand, how are you're lab/config skills? what stuff have you been practising lab work with, packet tracer?
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    my biggest bug bare is the feedback form given by the test centre doesn't give feedback on individual questions but areas of study eg Security.
    You should be able to go take those areas listed on your score report and match them up to the topics listed in that section on the exam blueprint. From that you should be able to figure out (if you can remember the exam) possible questions you had for that area.

If you look at the exam blueprint and you have no clue what some of the topics mean, that means you need to go back and study some more.

How much hands on lab work did you do?

The Chris Bryant Ultimate Study Guide for the CCNA has gotten a bunch of people over "the hump" -- so if you're stuck, consider that.

Chris is also the instructor for the TrainSignal CCNA Video CBT. CBTNuggets is another good CBT option. But CBTs are "additional" study material and don't replace the knowledge you should have learned from the Odom Books. But they are more focused and point you towards the more important concepts and topics you need to know for the exam (like Todd's book).

How's your subnetting skills? If you need practice, go to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

If you're under a minute per question that's acceptable, but once subnetting "clicks" for a person, they usually just "do it in their head" in under 10 seconds. The time you save on subnetting questions is more time you can leave on the exam clock and use for other quetions (if needed, or the sooner you can go celebrate).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AroniaAronia Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your comments guys they really do help. After failing this morning the whole day is a downer. But I'll press on and won't give up. I'm very confident with subnetting, which makes me even more confused. I only had two or three configuration questions (one was dodgy). I'm not sure what you mean by blueprint though?? I have Boson Network Simulation sofware and Exam Sim. I constantly get 90% ... Am I studying the right subject I wonder!!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not sure what you mean by blueprint though??
    The published exam objectives and topics -- now over on The Cisco Learning Network. You need to log into your account (free if you don't already have one) to see the actual topic list.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-4987
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well lets break down your study habits, answer the following questions here.

1. How many times have you read the book?
    2. Have you tried to memorize the suggested topics/tables at the end of each chapter?
    3. Have you studied the practice exams that came with the book? The Boson Exams. (not the end ch questions)
    4. How fast have you repeated to take your failed exams? do you wait 1 week? 3 weeks? 1 month? after failing.
    4. Most importantly! have you done any practice LABs?
    5. Do you have any practice equipment or run GNS3 on your computer?
    6. how many hours a day do you dedicate to studying?

All these questions will help us structure a plan for you.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have Boson Network Simulation sofware and Exam Sim. I constantly get 90% ... Am I studying the right subject I wonder!!

Don't worry about failing, after I failed the icnd1 I got lammle's book and it was soo much easier for me. Subnetting is key.

Here are my 3 rules on taking practice exams. (I know a lot of people will disagree with these but they've helped me.)

1. Never take a practice exam till you believe you're ready for the real one.

2. Don't take the same exam more than once.

3. Don't attempt the real exam without a score of at least 90% on practice test.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed it the first time and did it the second time. Listen man don't sweat it just knock it out.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • super22super22 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do you take the sims in ICND1 do they use packet tracer or BOSON?

Also can you use shortcut command like sh run instead of show running-config?
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember that even for ICND1 you still need quite abit of lab time. I would have found it very hard to pass without doing alot of basic labs.

Its one thing to know the theory but applying that theory to labs and setting up basic networks with RIP routing and what have you makes things alot easier. Packet Tracer is your best friend.

Have you done any labs ?

Odoms books are very good to read AFTER you have gone through Todd Lammles book and the CBT nuggets videos.