Notification Program?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Boss was throwing around some ideas this morning, and he is wondering if there is a way for our server to either email or txt message us when our database program goes down? Running Server 2003 and need to monitor Goldmine 6.7.

Since we are not logged into the server all day long, it would be nice to find a way to get an alert notice when it stops running. Anyone doing anything like this?

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Upgrade it to 2008 and use the task scheduler SMTP notification feature :D
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Would be nice, but was told not in the budget.
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    How do you mean "when" does it go down alot and what happens when it goes down (service stops?).

if it is a service that stops you can just get the service to run a script and use something like BLAT to send an email to you (happy mailing : Blat online) we use blat for a couple of simple things at work and it works very well.

If you can tell us if it fails in a certain way often perhaps we can think of something.

Regards
    Dale
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I bet Nagios can do it. Seem to be suggesting that a lot lately.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Silentsoul wrote: »
    I bet Nagios can do it. Seem to be suggesting that a lot lately.

Could probably setup a tcp check for the port goldmine runs on and have email notifications setup.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Could probably setup a tcp check for the port goldmine runs on and have email notifications setup.

Good call.
    Or there may even be a plugin already written for goldmine, or something that runs on the same port.