Options

Wardriving, How to!

mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
Just came across this article on Wardriving. Thought it was really interesting that many people do this and how dangerous it can be for a business. Well enough of the BS, Look over the article. I plan on purchasing a lab top soon, this just gives me another reason get one faster.

Link below
http://www.wardriving.com/doc/Wardriving-HOWTO.txt

Comments

• Options
    GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Like everything theres a harmless way abotu it and a harmful way. Wardriving is a great way to learn about wireless security hands on tho. www.thebroken.org , in one of the videos on that site Kevin Rose has a great segment explaining the basic of wardriving. I tried it out around my house, And you would be amazed how many people have unencrypted connections. In a 2 block radius around my house theres about 15 unencrypted wireless connections that I can get into with the click of a button.
    :D

Gawd
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have done this too. Some people just dont get it. They hook it up out of the box and once it works they never touch it again. I have been temped to do things to these connections but figure they will just have to learn the hard way. It is pretty amazing the first time you drive around with the laptop.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Granted, if you're going to setup something, you should learn to use it. Case in point, the internet. You should educate yourself on how NOT to get viruses and spyware. However, people just can't seem to get this.

However, when you're discussing wireless security, you're asking too much. The average end-user can't keep spyware off their machine. They certainly can't be expected to secure their wireless connection. The more I think about it, the more I want to do this type of side work. If people can charge $50 to watch Ad-Aware and Spybot run, think of how much you could get for setting up/securing a wireless connection. Ahhhh.... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Thats very true Lostinspace! I know for a fact that a few of my good friends have linksys routers who still haven't change the default username and password for there wireless network which is admin-admin. icon_eek.gif
    Making your home network with all of your business files secure is twice as much more important than worrying about spyware or viruses!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Especially since you place orders online, authenticate to web pages, etc. I need to get into this business...I could make a fortune, plus get excellent security-related experience.