Spy chips hidden in 2.5 MILLION dustbins - Daily Mail UK

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone from the UK familiar with this? I am curious to know if it implements RFID.

Spy chips hidden in 2.5 million dustbins as council snoopers plan pay-as-you-throw tax | Mail Online

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is there a better source? Daily Mail is a tabloid...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »

Hmm, it appears I am good at finding UK tabloids icon_wink.gif

My bad again...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

My bad again...

I thought all UK news sources were tabloids. :D
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Isn't this the same country that taxes water tanks? Or implemented a poll tax? This would'nt surprise me in the least. After all, you have all of Gordon Brown's crooked pollies to pay for.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□

My bad again...

Still, I'll make the argument that it's no worse than much of the dross in Computerworld or CIO....

MS
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991

My bad again...

lol your not wrong fella and agruably this one is worse than the Sun, it tries to pass itself off as something more credible. Some of the stories it prints are correct but the slant they put on it is shocking. They love to jump on the STOP immigration band wagon (cos they must all be scroungers\terroists) etc.....

As to this story, I'm sitting watching it on breakfast bbc this am! lol

BBC NEWS | UK | Many councils 'bug' rubbish bins

Its just another method to extract yet more stealth taxes from the people. The recycling in the UK is a joke. We dont have the infrastructure to recycle on the scale the government wants. Added to the fact its NOT consistant (Probably due to the lack of infrastructure.) so you can recycle some things in some areas but recycle the same thing in others.
    My ex father in-law used to work for a refuse firm and most of the stuff the collected for recycling still went to land fill !
    Dont get me started I'll end up going off on a rant..... GRIN
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just sums up the UK government and how things in europe blow in general imo. maybe its time for a rebellion :D but lets face it, no government is perfect. i dont think its helped by the calibre of journalism we have in the country either, they really are a nasty bunch. Just look at how they blow up anything like the john terry / ashleigh cole affairs and how they spilt it over to affect the England teams chances/moral!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes.. saw it on the BBC breakfast news this morning - that great source of non-biased , and informative news coverage .. yeah right!
    Anyway, sounds like something they'd try and do here.
    It was fun watching the person representing the scheme try to explain how giving refunds/incentives to those who put out less rubbish isn;t the same as penalising those who put out more..
    And when asked : what about neighbours putting rubbish in each other's bins to get a better refund / less penalty ?
    Response: erm.. aah..erm
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Hmmm maybe I should take the degousser home with me tonight...

Another thing my local council is planning is tiny bins (the size you would have under your office desk) but for a whole family household and collection every two weeks.

Now I pay my council tax regularly, so anything I cannot get in this bin, the bin men won't take so I will be driving to the council offices and putting it outside their door. I am paying for them to take my rubbish and they will take it one way or another. Why should we have to pay twice for the same thing?

They are quick enough to summon people to court for just missing a single payment date so I think we should repay the complement and start dumping our "excess" rubbish (if there is such a thing as excess rubbish... I certainly have never been given a quota) on them.

I can't see how that can be illegal. I am just helping them to facilitate the removal of all my family's rubbish.

Seriously, recycling in the UK is a complete joke and just used as another stealth tax by the councils because the government won't give them enough money.
    Kam.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The town where I attended college had a one trash bag per week limit. If you needed more than that you had to go to a store that sold a sticker for a dollar that you could put on the extra bag. Being broke college students we weren't about to waste beer money on trash stickers so we bought the biggest bags possible.

Problem is there were 4 of us living in that house and I seemed to be the only one who would remember to take out the trash. Usually I would remember when I was walking home from some 7:30 AM biology or chemistry lab and the trash truck was at the other end of the street driving away. Fortunately we lived across the street from some campus apartments that had a dumpster. We would wait until nightfall, fire up the Peter Gunn theme from the Blues Brothers soundtrack, grab a bag or two and sprint across the street to the dumpster.

The next year all four houses on that end of the block were rented by me and my fraternity brothers. We decided to all pitch in on a dumpster rental so we wouldn't have to make any more trash runs.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Actually, I saw something similar to this on the news here in the states last week. A community that is very green gets paid (actually money taken off their bill) the more recyclable waste they get rid of.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    My ex father in-law used to work for a refuse firm and most of the stuff the collected for recycling still went to land fill !
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it does end up in a landfill. A large proportion isn't actually recyclable for various reasons like it is two different types of plastic together or nobody in that region has the facilities to handle that type of material.

I have a regular bin, a plastic bottles + cans box and a paper box. There is alledgely a fine if you don't recycle in my area and you have to do the two boxes correctly. They send out a special truck that collects the two boxes but everytime I've seen this truck, the guys working on it just throw the contents of both boxes into the back so it all ends up jumbled up anyway ><
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Kaminsky wrote: »

I can't see how that can be illegal. I am just helping them to facilitate the removal of all my family's rubbish.

Thats called fly tipping and is illegal!

I work for a local council and also they are the same council that I live in and pay my council tax too. Our recycling bins are chipped. Am I worried not really. I think more resposibility should be put on the companies selling you the products that are encased in near impenitrable plastic with beading around the edges, and the shops that put things with skins on in bags. But at the end of the day my work is legally bound to take recycling and rubbish away and has a commitment to targets, yet nobody (me included) wants to pay more council tax and in this environment where all our jobs (public and private) have axes dangling dangerously overhead because we have been budgeted less money than in previous years to provide more services what do you expect to happen.

Every company is facing this and revenue needs to be generated whether your are a shop or a public sector organisation.

In the end I live here, I choose to live here so I pay for it, (very handsomely too) }o
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    dynamik wrote: »
    What, no page 3 girl? I know, wrong tabloid! icon_lol.gif
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    tiersten wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it does end up in a landfill. A large proportion isn't actually recyclable for various reasons like it is two different types of plastic together or nobody in that region has the facilities to handle that type of material.

I have a regular bin, a plastic bottles + cans box and a paper box. There is alledgely a fine if you don't recycle in my area and you have to do the two boxes correctly. They send out a special truck that collects the two boxes but everytime I've seen this truck, the guys working on it just throw the contents of both boxes into the back so it all ends up jumbled up anyway ><

They are in the business to make money which they make from the amount of tons of rubbish they get which in turn generates them certificates which they then sell to large companies that can't meet their recycling targets for various reasons. There is big money in this and being green is just the mechanism used to force us to give our tons of rubbish to them for nothing.

If the councils actually looked at the profit these companies really made from these certificates and then the council kept half the profit once the costs of collecting were taking out (so there was no need for the council to pay for the service), that company would still make a ton of money and our council tax bills would drop by a long, long way.

As it stands, our council have to pay these companies a lot for the service, we are forced by law to give them our rubbish for nothing and they turn that into certificates to sell and rake it in. That's why you see recyclable and normal waste getting thrown in the same bin. A ton of rubish is a ton of rubbish and thank you very much.

Yet another british scandal that goes unnoticed until our grandchildren read about it in history class and laugh at how gullable we were back then.
    Kam.