Options

Adjunct instructor for ITT Tech.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys and gals, just looking to see if anybody here has any experience either first hand or knows of anybody who has worked as an adjunct instructor for ITT Tech. I have an opportunity possibility but I've done some research and found plenty of good and plenty of bad. Hoping to get a bit more knowledge either good or bad to help decide how I want to proceed. I've always thought about teaching part time for extra cash and good resume filler, but now that an opportunity is there I'm not sure if I care to follow through on it while the opportunity exists or opt out given my current load with a FT job, pursuing my Master's, and dealing with the trailing end of a short-sale on my home and divorce.

I think the biggest thing holding me back is a good amount of poor reviews from people who have worked for ITT. Talk of bad politics, lack of organization or policy/procedures - kind of a seat of your pants type atmosphere, and a sense of expandability. On the other hand, it's very possible bad reviews come from people who were bad employees and are just angry.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I know in my local branch there has been some dirty politics and other junk that goes on.

Would I work there full time? No.

Would I work there as an evening adjunct professor, make a lil cash, and help some kids learn some material? Sure.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Would I work there as an evening adjunct professor, make a lil cash, and help some kids learn some material? Sure.

This was kind of what I was thinking, at worst I guess if I just can't stand the atmosphere I can finish the term and bail if it's that terrible. I definitely do not want a full-time gig, I much prefer hands on with technology at this point in my career. Maybe later on I'll settle down into something in management or teaching full-time.

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    When I finish my BS i want to try to get on there or my local community college as an evening adjuct.

I'd never want to teach full time, but it could be fine a couple nights a week for a few extra dollars.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I've always said if it looks like something, then it likely is. Proceed with caution is my suggestion.

Good luck!! I've always wanted to teach and help people learn things and make a difference.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    ITTadjunctITTadjunct Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Mike,

I just completed my first quarter as an adjunct instructor teaching 2 classes at ITT.

I wasn't aware of any political issues, but then I don't tune into that aspect of work too quickly, and I'm sure that each location is as different as the people it includes - I'm in Oklahoma City.

The curriculum is well-specified. Each class will have a prepared syllabus, daily lesson plans, assignments and a final exam with answer key. You're on your own to develop quiz materials. The first time that you teach a given course, there willl be a learning curve to familiarize yourself with the text, course objectives and assignments. I expect to have a much easier time of it this quarter than last.

ITT is metrics-driven. For example: They measure "student engagement" which is essentially the average number of your enrolled students that actually attend and successfully complete the class. Your engagement rate is measured against the average of all ITT schools for the same class. So, about half will be above average and half will be below average - and unless you're very entertaining (or persuasive), there is not a lot that you can do to influence the attendance rates.

The students are from all age groups and backgrounds. Some take their education seriously, many don't. Many strike me as too accepting of failure, or any passing grade. It is hard to keep them motivated, and get them to submit their homework - and a number of them feel entitled (e.g., expecting an "A" for enrolling). Most won't crack a book or exhibit enough initiative to use Google to investigate something for themselves. All of the instructors that I've visited with have the same issue.

Some of the students do take the program seriously and appreciate a knowledgeable instructor that can help them understand the material and the importance of some of the concepts. I've been a practicing professional for 25 years, so I have plenty of experience to validate the points in the course material and war stories to illustrate some common mistakes. Most appreciate the perspective, but some of them are still young enough to believe that they already know everything.

I don't think I'd make a career of teaching at ITT, but it is a nice supplemental income, and it may provide a stepping stone to another teaching situation. Like yourself, I'm recovering from a financial challenge, and I think that I'll be supplementing my income for a while.

The quarters are 12 weeks (11 class weeks), so there is an opportunity to change your workload or schedule every few months.

Good luck.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I worked with many instructors in school. To me it seems like they got walked on by the full timers that didn't know how to teach or even know the information. And the administration didn't care and did their share of dumping as well.

Can't say that is the same everywhere, but the possibility is out there whenever you are working part time. Give it a try, if you don't like it you can always walk away.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ITT InstructorITT Instructor Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am looking for experiences that people have had as instructors for ITT Tech for a possible article. Please contact me confidentially, if you are willing to discuss your experiences, at ITTinstructor (at) yandex (d0t) com
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd do it for a year and then re-evaluate. May lead to opportunities at your local community/junior college.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe