Passed my CCNA - 923

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hey All,

Just wanted to share the good news. Sat my CCNA this morning, thought I would go for it in the one shot and passed with a 923.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on the site that helped with questions i had, and for that post on how to subnet. It really was the difference between me passing and failing.

For anyone looking to sit it, what advice i can give from my experience is;

* Make sure you know everything about switching (Vlans, STP, RSTP, switch commands). I got around MODERATED questions on MODERATED and also a hard testsim that i was not prepared for. Thank god MODERATED allows the ? and I was able to grind my way through it. I got 93% on it. :)

* Also I know for a lot of people WANs are very hard to study and I could not nail the differences between link-state and distance vector and ecspecially how EIGRP and OSPF operate and form neigbors and how routes are decided .etc.etc. So what i ended up doing is watching the CCMP videos which are advanced but i watched the introduction videos and every single bit of information I needed was in there. MASSIVE HELP!

I walked into work today with the passing paperwork, slapped it on my bosses desk and said 75k plus car and phone. haha. I dont think thats happening just yet though :)

Comments

• johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Congrats!! Thats a great score.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

You can't mention anything specific from the exam, so I MODERATED a few things. You must drink an additional beer for each one as part of your celebration, drunken_smilie.gif -- or this weekend if you already celebrated.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Congrats on the pass!
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Congrats! Can't wait to be there myself. As for the 75k, phone, and car... don't we all wish. ;)
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Congratulationsicon_cheers.gif
    albanga wrote: »
    Hey All,
    * Also I know for a lot of people WANs are very hard to study and I could not nail the differences between link-state and distance vector and ecspecially how EIGRP and OSPF operate and form neigbors and how routes are decided .etc.etc. So what i ended up doing is watching the CCMP videos which are advanced but i watched the introduction videos and every single bit of information I needed was in there. MASSIVE HELP!
    True, for me studying for the CCNA left me with toooo many unanswered questions. Dipping into the CCNP material helped so much.

Similarly for CCNA Voice, I picked up Cisco Press "Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers" cheap on ebay - it helped so much.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    Thank you all :)

And sorry Mike, thanks for the updated edit! I did party wayyyy to hard on the Friday night in celebration. I woke up in the morning not remembering what an IP is. haha
  • muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats.

i have to take mines in a month or two...

got any good advice on how to study?
  • albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    muon wrote: »
    congrats.

i have to take mines in a month or two...

got any good advice on how to study?

Thanks!
    And yeah i can give you what I did and some things that may help;

Firstly i watched the CBT nuggets videos. There is a lot of stuff in them but it gives you a good base. There is a total of 40 different videos on the various topics but what I do is actually write down what i think to be important stuff. Once I had watched the videos I then typed up my 1 1/2 notebooks of notes to sort of freshen the mind. I would be more than happy to send you the documents with all the notes for you to read over?? Just message me ur email address and I can send those through. :)

Then I came onto these forums and just read a lot of stuff, read all the notes and did all the exams. That made me understand what areas needed improvement.

Then I just sat heaps of different practice questions and when I came to an area i knew nothing or little about i would search it up on the net and read all about it.

Then I watched the introductory CCMP videos on routing protocols because I was having the most trouble there.

Finally when I had all the knowledge i put it into practice on the boson simulator. Once you actually know what the commands do it makes much more sense and easier to remember when putting them in.
  • muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    albanga wrote: »
    Thanks!
    And yeah i can give you what I did and some things that may help;

Firstly i watched the CBT nuggets videos. There is a lot of stuff in them but it gives you a good base. There is a total of 40 different videos on the various topics but what I do is actually write down what i think to be important stuff. Once I had watched the videos I then typed up my 1 1/2 notebooks of notes to sort of freshen the mind. I would be more than happy to send you the documents with all the notes for you to read over?? Just message me ur email address and I can send those through. :)

Then I came onto these forums and just read a lot of stuff, read all the notes and did all the exams. That made me understand what areas needed improvement.

Then I just sat heaps of different practice questions and when I came to an area i knew nothing or little about i would search it up on the net and read all about it.

Then I watched the introductory CCMP videos on routing protocols because I was having the most trouble there.

Finally when I had all the knowledge i put it into practice on the boson simulator. Once you actually know what the commands do it makes much more sense and easier to remember when putting them in.

wow thats a lot of preparation icon_study.gif
    and i messaged you
  • sachin1219sachin1219 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in how many days i get my certification from cisco

certification is in which form..???

and what is the procedure for that after clearing the ccna exam as i have done that

pls help me

thanks in advance
    sachin
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    congrats on the pass!!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    sachin1219 wrote: »
    in how many days i get my certification from cisco

and what is the procedure for that after clearing the ccna exam as i have done that

pls help me

thanks in advance
    sachin

you need to go to cisco's certification tracking tool, verify you're mailing address and it will be sent out to you.

https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sachin1219 wrote: »

The instructions to log into the Cisco Certification Tracking System should be on the score report -- and should also be in a followup email sent to the email address you used when you registered on the Pearson/Vue site.

It's been a while for me, so I'm not sure if anything has changed, but in the past you had an option to select a paper or electronic certificate for your free copy.

The electronic certificate was a PDF file you could print out yourself.

The Paper certificate could take 6 to 8 weeks, but came with a wallet card and a mass produced congratulation letter from the Cisco CEO. The certificates seem to ALL get mailed from San Jose regardless the country you live in.

In the past they also had the expedited shipping option which also seemed to jump you to the front of the print que. Pay $15 and it was sent via DHL (which doesn't do delivery in the US anymore -- they hand off the packages to UPS or FedEx or Airborne now).

I'd usually go in and verify my address and select the paper copy as my FREE version. Then I'd pay $15 and BUY a copy of the electronic PDF version so I could print it out and have the instant gratification (and motivation to study for the next cert).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!