Secure networks with no outside access

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm not quite sure how to describe this.

I have an interview for a infrastructure engineer soon. Despite the title, I would be working more on the desktop and server side than the network side of things.

They work in a very security conscious sector, and therefore have 10 or more secure networks for projects that are not connected to the internet or any other network.

Secure access is needed to get onto a workstation onto these networks, USB ports and CD drives are disabled for users, and admins need to be very careful not to use CDs, USB sticks etc for one network on another network.

Does anyone have experience in this type of scenario? How does the networking side of things work? Maybe different colour cables for each network, heavy security on switches and routers?
I presume I would need to remember about 10-20 different admin passwords.

Sounds very exciting, but much tougher than the average single network, multiple VLAN scenario.

Comments

• stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    steve_f wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not quite sure how to describe this.

I have an interview for a infrastructure engineer soon. Despite the title, I would be working more on the desktop and server side than the network side of things.

They work in a very security conscious sector, and therefore have 10 or more secure networks for projects that are not connected to the internet or any other network.

Secure access is needed to get onto a workstation onto these networks, USB ports and CD drives are disabled for users, and admins need to be very careful not to use CDs, USB sticks etc for one network on another network.

Does anyone have experience in this type of scenario? How does the networking side of things work? Maybe different colour cables for each network, heavy security on switches and routers?
    I presume I would need to remember about 10-20 different admin passwords.

Sounds very exciting, but much tougher than the average single network, multiple VLAN scenario.

Sounds something like a DoD network, mainly the only difference is you will not have internet access. Networks will be the same setup more than likely with Cisco equipment. OS maybe Vista/W7 Windows Server 2003/08.
    Free Reading : History Books