Options

Do you really need to have 2 years on-the job Networking?

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you really need to have 2 years Networking before taking this security+ exam? icon_confused.gifwww.boson.com says "The recommended prerequisite for the Security+ exam (SY0-101) candidate is to have the knowledge and skill equivalent of the material comprised within the CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification exams." icon_wink.gif

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    The key word is "recommended". Too, this is Boson's own recommendation--but it's certainly a good idea.

This what CompTIA says:
    The CompTIA Security+ certification tests for security knowledge mastery of an individual with two years on-the-job networking experience, with emphasis on security.

You'll find it here: http://www.comptia.org/certification/security/default.aspx

You'll see that it is testing for "security knowledge mastery" of one who has the specified experience. Key word--knowledge. Boils down to; if you've got the guts to try it, and the exam fee, of course,--go for it!

There are certs that require proof/references/whatever, like CISSP. But not CompTIA Security+. And, the 2 certs are worlds apart. CompTIA, after all, has to say something to promote their certs--don't they? And, Boson wants to encourage people to purchase their practice exams for A+ and Network+ as well as for Security+.

I would say, if you want it, go for it. No one will stop you from taking it.

This is all my opinion. Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    leefdaddy7leefdaddy7 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's just to ward off people taking tests with no experience and getting every certification under the sun, with no work experience.... it is good practice to have experience with what you test on... but not all of us do that.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed, not all of us can get the experience first before taking the exam. Sometimes you need to get the cert first in order to get the job you want to gain the experience.

Since studying the sec+ exam objectives, it is almost entirely on the theology of security and how it works logically. To me, you don't need any experience to study and take this exam, however, it would most certainly help with the way you retain the information and how much you need to study.
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you! :D ALL for your advice and comments; they have been very helpful... I think I will Start studying for this exam once I find out what the best resources are to use, Books, practices tests, etc. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    freakfreak Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yup, I would recommend having some real world experience before looking at this test. Security is one of those fields where there are no true rookies, for lack of a better word...
    Freak, MA, M.Ed., Net+,I-Net+, CEH, CCA, CCNA, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE NT, MCSE 2K, MCT

iCertify.net

InfoSecWeb.com

FreakNotes.com
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Freak: Hows the MCT treating you?