Options

Extra nic card for lab work?

matallicamatallica Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Before for I try it and get disappointed... Does anybody know if I can add pci nic card to my computer running xp and built-in nic card on the motherboard, and assign each nic card with a different ip address and subnet on the same computer or will xp not let me do that? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    matallica wrote: »
    Before for I try it and get disappointed... Does anybody know if I can add pci nic card to my computer running xp and built-in nic card on the motherboard, and assign each nic card with an ip address and subnet on the same computer or will xp not let me do that? Thanks!
    I would be very very surprised if it doesn't work, never actually tried it on XP but it is very common thing to do on Windows Server operating systems ro run routing and remote access services.

EDIT : Sorry, ignore that I have installed multiple NICs before on XP.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    You could yes, but depends what you want to do. You could run into trouble when trying to access to internet with default gateways, etc.

I've 2 on my Ubuntu box.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    Thanks, I will give it a try!
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup it should work, on my console computer I have one nic running to my domain (normal network) allowing me to RDP onto it, and another nic running to my switches so I can telnet into the equipment.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    As mentioned before, it depends on the OS. On my Win2003 servers, it will accept the dual nics but gives the warning that this is designed for connection redundancy and both interfaces should be on the same subnet.

Win2000 Servers used one for internet connectivity and the other for intranet!

I have a dual NICs on my Vista machine trying to do the same thing but it realy does not like it and I have to shut one down to be able to access through the other.

The Linux boxes i have had in the past did not care and seemed to route traffic to the proper NIC based on the IP address.

John
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    You could yes, but depends what you want to do. You could run into trouble when trying to access to internet with default gateways, etc.

I've 2 on my Ubuntu box.

It works for alittle while for me until my connection to the internet starts to get really messed up. I can ssh,telnet, and use SDM with my routers while surfing the internet.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For Lab work I keep a couple of USB Ethernet Adapters laying around. Then I don't have to worry about messing up my normal home network/internet connection (and connections to the Remote Power Controllers and Access Servers) and I can plug directly into a lab switch or router
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Odd. I had the extra nic in my 2003 server. I too was never really able to get the two networks working, but I just shruged it off and disabled it.

I have two nics in my Win Xp machine with two totally different subnets, my real network and my lab network and they work perfectly fine.

Like I said I RDP into the machine while I am using telnet on that machine to any of my devices.

Its not something that new.. I used to have that setup on a 2000 server with a cable modem connected directly to the machine via one nic, and another nic for my network.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    For Lab work I keep a couple of USB Ethernet Adapters laying around. Then I don't have to worry about messing up my normal home network/internet connection (and connections to the Remote Power Controllers and Access Servers) and I can plug directly into a lab switch or router

That is another good idea! To test my network configs, I've been using my desk top pc to ping my ps3. It's not a big deal, but I am getting tired going into the living room and redoing the ip on the playstaiton.

At this point anything I do to savetime helps. I must admit a few times when I went change the ip and started playing games!icon_lol.gif Thanks for your help!