Microsoft Office Document repair tools

neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
I work in a school and we are regularly getting corrupt documents.

Not seen any microsoft utilities that fits the bill on this.

Can anyone recommend a third party product that can recover corrupt word and powerpoint documents. I don't mind paying a small fee for the cost of the software if its recommended.

Many products i've seen claim to fix files but you need to pay up front - i'm willing to try before buy and then purchse product if it does the job.

Any recommendations please.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Whenever I've had to recover corrupted Word documents, I just extracted all the text that was still present in the file by running it through strings. You'd lose all the formatting and other metadata but that generally was better than losing the entire document. This assumes that the users hasn't protected the document and that it is mainly text that they lost.

That said, I've not had to do this in a long time as the corrupted documents generally were caused by bad floppy disks.

Can't help with the Powerpoint files though.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    usually I use the repair function built in MS Office, it does not give 100% results but it works in most of the cases.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Thanks for the replies.

We can occasionally recover just the text from documents but the main problem is losing many photos that have been included in the document.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    wd40 wrote: »
    usually I use the repair function built in MS Office, it does not give 100% results but it works in most of the cases.

I second this, in my current job role, we have people who call in all the time with this issue and this seems to fix it.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown