Options

Help on IT route to take? Calling all IT pros!

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all you experience IT Pros

what do you suggest? I really like the Cisco stuff and can see myself getting certified in these certs (ccnp, ccvp, ccsp, ccip, ccnp-wifi)
but it seems lots of engineering jobs require MCSE or MCITP.

What if I don't want to take the MS$$$ route and only want to
cert in Cisco? Will this kill me career-wise. I mean I enjoy OS stuff
and can handle myself fine in an engineering environment but
will not certfiying in MS$$ engineering kill me being that my goal is in Network Engineering. Do all network engineers have to be certified once in MS$$ or what? It just seems many of these network engineering jobs require MS cert as well. what do you guys think? But then again I have seen where guys doing net engineering work strickly with the cisco devices am I nieve? help thanksicon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Really it depends on the employer. You dont have to get MS certs if you dont want to. Keep in mind, unless you are working for a big company with a lot of cisco gear, once it is set up and humming there isnt much to do. I work with less than 10 cisco devices and aside from basic monitoring and backups, Ive worked on just one in the last 6 months. Dont sell yourself short, the MS stuff can be pretty fun.
  • Options
    phoeneous

you have a valid point there...yeah MS stuff can be fun. but want your opinions. I agree once it is setup it is done..interesting view thank you for your advice...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/51300-being-stuck-vendor-good-bad.html?highlight=vendor

If you're looking to maximize your opportunity for employment, especially when you're first starting out in the industry, spreading your certification between vendors/technologies may make sense.

If you want to make the big buck -- get your experience and then specialize.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks mikej

yeah I have a lot of experience with windows 2003 but it will be expiring soon; I think I have enough experience to understand windows 2008 servers stuff to understand the differences..so I think I might to do the
    ccnp, ccvp, ccsp and mcitp-ea and then ccip and ccnp(wifi).
    so I can be well rounded.

would like that kind of "T" before I specialize into Cisco of which I would love to specialize in.. would then like to work in the field with cisco a few years before attempting ccie anything...thing it is important to work my skills....

thanks for your guidance you really help me out...thank you icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been wondering about the same thing for months because I just want to focus on Cisco too. Would someone with one or two certifications through microsoft and a certification in linux be helpful? I was thinking about getting my MCP in AD and my Linux+ cert. I see alot of companies want the MCSA/E certification but I don't it's thats for me.
    I'm not trying to hijack the thread... I don't have a gun anywhere on me :P
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »

yeah I have a lot of experience with windows 2003 but it will be expiring soon

Yeah, in 5 years. What are you going to do in that timeframe if you dont meet an employer that uses 2008?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This discussion is VERY relative. Really you can never know what each HR person is going to wanting. You have to decide what path you want. If you prefer Network Infrastructure, than go the Juniper/Cisco route; if it's Servers than take the Microsoft/Linux route. Honestly, the last thing I want to do is spend every minute trying to collect every different certification. Trust me, this will drive you over the edge...

That being said, it doesn't hurt to pick up a few outside certifications to become well rounded. Think of it like getting a degree, you do need a little math, a little writing/language, etc.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This discussion is VERY relative. Really you can never know what each HR person is going to wanting. You have to decide what path you want. If you prefer Network Infrastructure, than go the Juniper/Cisco route; if it's Servers than take the Microsoft/Linux route. Honestly, the last thing I want to do is spend every minute trying to collect every different certification. Trust me, this will drive you over the edge...

That being said, it doesn't hurt to pick up a few outside certifications to become well rounded. Think of it like getting a degree, you do need a little math, a little writing/language, etc.

I agree with this. I also want to specialize in networking (specifically network security) but I have found that (even for entry level network engineers) I don't have enough exp. Even though I don't really want to go into full blown system admin work for the long term, in the short term I will add a few MS certs to my resume (MCSA and MCITP over the next year or 2) because most companies in my area want multiple skill sets for entry level positions. So I guess I have to work on the top half on my T right now.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    I agree with this. I also want to specialize in networking (specifically network security) but I have found that (even for entry level network engineers) I don't have enough exp. Even though I don't really want to go into full blown system admin work for the long term, in the short term I will add a few MS certs to my resume (MCSA and MCITP over the next year or 2) because most companies in my area want multiple skill sets for entry level positions. So I guess I have to work on the top half on my T right now.

Security is a different animal all together. There are so many different paths that you can take to achieve that end. I am choosing the SysAdmin --> Security path because I don't enjoy Cisco as much. I do plan to at least do the CCNA:Security because I want a better grasp of Networking Infrastructure.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security is a different animal all together. There are so many different paths that you can take to achieve that end.

True.
    I am choosing the SysAdmin --> Security path because I don't enjoy Cisco as much. I do plan to at least do the CCNA:Security because I want a better grasp of Networking Infrastructure.

I am thinking that your path will be my path (yoink!!) because it seems going from Network Tech>Engineer> Security Engineer is possible, by the time you get to Network Security Engineer you need to know some sys admin things and it seems that it would be very possible to get "stuck" in Network Engineering and never get to Network Security (but I guess that's true of anything). I mean an MCSA(maybe MCSA SEC) plus a CCNA Security seems like it would be better for someone who wants to get into security. My path will go from Vendor (MCSA/MCITP, CCNA/NP/SP/maybe IE:S) to non vendor (Sans, CISSP, etc) hopefully. Who knows though.
  • Options
    phoeneous

your question is valid my friend, my point being is I really like 2003 server it is one of the best MS$$ has made hate to say it. It works almost flawlessly as flawless as MS$$ can be hhahahah.

But 2008 is the future and my experience with 2003 servers will help me understand 2008 stuff. Get certed in that but my experience is with 2003 servers. not tooo bad. but to get these certs a guy once said "you have to know something since you passed the exams cause they are getting tougher" I agree with this guys statement. and if you got say CCNP I wouldnt consider you a beginner or for sure entry level maybe intermediate level I would consider you...

but yeah, I will probably get these (CCNP, CCVP, CCSP, MCITP-EA) to start and then later finish up with CCIP since it is only 2 more exams and then CCNP-wifi ( call it CCWP) makes sense to me he hee.

but having the 5 cisco certs would give me a well rounded solid foundation to work from. and then I just want to work work work and gain lost of experience. but I have to mention something I have observed.

For example you have employeeA who has worked as an engineer for say 10 years but you know how work goes doesn't do every technology all the time, then you have employeeB MR freshly gotten cert dude who say has CCNP, CCVP, CCSP under his /her belt. bam they start work dont you think a guy/gal fresh form cert school has a equal or upper hand somewhat since the experience engineer doesnt do all the technologies all the time and the Mr Cert dude fresh from school has been hammering them day in and day out. That they are as good really as the experience person. I have seen this in my own life. I mean my experience at times blows the young pups out of the water but they do have a good place since they have done it all and alot and is fresh in their minds until they dont do the skillset anymore and it fads a bit. this is perplexing to me. So when a company says something about your experience, Just getting these pro certs should technically be an upper hand since you are fresh and the experience engineers (no offense) are lacking since they havent done maybe alot of the stuff you have just been pounding away. I mean you would think it fair like that but oh well back to the grind!

Thanks guys. I have made up my mind to get the 1 MCITP-EA out of the way but after that no turning back all Cisco that is my happy spoT!

working on the T

icon_study.gif