Options

certs from other industries

muonmuon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
im just wondering if you guys knew any good certs from other industries? i've heard of a 'food handler's certificate' where you need to get it before you can be a manager of a restaraunt.

its a big and interesting world out there... just wondering if you know of anything else besides IT certs icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go to Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE (the official exam/test center of Cisco) and hit the locate a test center link.

You can poke around the options there and get an idea about what kinds of proctored exams are available. It looks like there's an exam to take if you want to be a Barber in Florida -- but I'm not sure it's considered a certification.....

Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment is the other major global exam source (and the Official Microsoft exam/test center) and may have some additional choices that only they offer.

There can also be exams/tests administered by various Trade Associations that only has value within the association members or a geography.... etc.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Go to Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE (the official exam/test center of Cisco) and hit the locate a test center link.

You can poke around the options there and get an idea about what kinds of proctored exams are available. It looks like there's an exam to take if you want to be a Barber in Florida -- but I'm not sure it's considered a certification.....

Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment is the other major global exam source (and the Official Microsoft exam/test center) and may have some additional choices that only they offer.

There can also be exams/tests administered by various Trade Associations that only has value within the association members or a geography.... etc.

awesome.

you know i haven't really figured myself out yet. maybe im a cert whore... maybe im not

icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    There is definitely a type of collector mentality that specifically goes for any and all licensing/certifications that they can. I've known people who have collected licenses ranging from private pilot, contractor, and real estate agent to locksmithing and gun smithing--and for no other reason than just to have them. These people tend to go really crazy when they can find ways to have their business or employer pay for them all.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    These people tend to go really crazy when they can find ways to have their business or employer pay for them all.

My employer deals with this problem by requiring the certification fall under the current job specification.
  • Options
    My employer deals with this problem by requiring the certification fall under the current job specification.

you can always make some kind of crazy argument like, "what if the door to my office is locked and i don't have a key?" time for me to get a locksmith cert!
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    muon wrote: »
    you can always make some kind of crazy argument like, "what if the door to my office is locked and i don't have a key?" time for me to get a locksmith cert!

I always think of this cartoon when I hear of that mindset...

http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/images/dilbert_certified.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There is definitely a type of collector mentality that specifically goes for any and all licensing/certifications that they can. I've known people who have collected licenses ranging from private pilot, contractor, and real estate agent to locksmithing and gun smithing--and for no other reason than just to have them. These people tend to go really crazy when they can find ways to have their business or employer pay for them all.

There's a reason why I'm trying to do five SANS certs in 18 months :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/