Options

Hard drive troubles...need some help.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I have a 9 gig drive with Windows 98 SE installed. I'm working on it for someone else. They shutdown, rebooted, and received the following error.

"Error 1 Loading OS. This may be due to a virus."

The screen shows some options below that, but you can't select any of them because the machine is frozen. When hooked up as a secondary drive, I can see the files. I've checked it with Symantec AV, ran chkdsk, scandisk, and spinrite. I've tried fdisk /mbr from a boot disk, with no luck. I'm pretty sure the FAT is corrupt. Does anyone know of a program that will rebuild the FAT? Any other suggestions would be great as well.
One good thing is that I can backup the data, then install Windows on another drive, then just restore the data to the drive that will boot up. I'd like to get this working though, if possible. Plus I want to know what the problem is...

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a virus in your File Allocation Table. Usually I just suck the data off to my lab machine and then fdisk and rebuild. I have tried many different options to repair the FAT, however more often than not it just screws tha disk.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Unfortunately, I did screw up another hd trying to fix this problem. It's no big deal, it needed rebuilt anyway. I'm going to hook it up as a slave, copy the data over, then just wipe it out. I don't think being able to boot into the OS is worth trying to accomplish.