To much reading?

JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I am studying Myers All In One A+ book. Its a great book filled with a lot of information, and it was great to really gain a lot of knowledge in areas that I know myself I was weak in then the others. I have been working on PCs for years, so this was a great book even if I was not studying for the A+.

Anyway, in about a week and a few days I am up to chapter 19 on video. My question is, the last couple of chapters of the book are pretty long, and for instance - video - I am looking at the Exam Objectives - it really details to give the characteristics of the different monitors, differences, etc. But this chapter goes into detail of how a LCD monitor functions down to piece to piece. At this point should I start going by the objects list and pull the information I need surrounding that area?

While I enjoy reading the book, I would like to start getting more into taking practice tests, hitting the areas I need to hit harder, etc.

I should also note that it takes me longer to read through chapters because I write notes as I go along, so I have about 65-70 pages of notes so far (I find that the information stays with me if I read it, comprehend it and write it). Especially more in detail on parts that I was weak in.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
-Jon
Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When studying for exams I read every page of the book. I find that even subjects I am very familiar with I almost always learn something new. That's just how I roll.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like it is time for you to invest in a testing program.

I personally read, highlighted, and taught an A+ study group to help me study. So I'd say it is important to read all of the material, even my 1400 Page A+ book.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Sounds like it is time for you to invest in a testing program.

I personally read, highlighted, and taught an A+ study group to help me study. So I'd say it is important to read all of the material, even my 1400 Page A+ book.

Agreed, I am going to start working on some practice tests. I only have a few more chapters to go in this book, and the material covered is networking so that should be a breeze.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Practic tests are good but do you have parts to build a PC and do some Lab practice? that will help you so much! My approach would be to finish the book this week, then spend another 2 or 3 weeks doing practice tests and building a PC with different configuration changes.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    Practic tests are good but do you have parts to build a PC and do some Lab practice? that will help you so much! My approach would be to finish the book this week, then spend another 2 or 3 weeks doing practice tests and building a PC with different configuration changes.

I have a bunch of computers, servers, etc. that I work on all the time, so as far as the lab goes I am set. After I finish the book this week I actually have to do some wire runs for my CCNA lab to two host computers I am setting up for the lab, so I will even have a brush up with the hardware, and the OSs being setup for full RDP.

Sort of falls into place, lol.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Jonk,

See if you can Shadow any pro's in the area if you are already not working in the industry.

Practice tests should not be used as a means to study. It's great you have a lab, but if you can observe some Customer Service stuff as well as seeing how live issues are handled (rather then lab stuff) it will be much more beneficial for you IMO.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say finish the book do a couple of practice exams and then book and smash the exam,
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I'd say finish the book do a couple of practice exams and then book and smash the exam,

Yup that's what I am doing, well I already booked the exam before I started the book - so its coming up on the 29th.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Jonk,

See if you can Shadow any pro's in the area if you are already not working in the industry.

Practice tests should not be used as a means to study. It's great you have a lab, but if you can observe some Customer Service stuff as well as seeing how live issues are handled (rather then lab stuff) it will be much more beneficial for you IMO.

Good points, however one should never ignore the practice tests that come with the books or from certified vendors like Boson. There is a reason they have practice questions at the end of each chapter as well. However shadowing a work environment would help as well.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    Good points, however one should never ignore the practice tests that come with the books or from certified vendors like Boson. There is a reason they have practice questions at the end of each chapter as well. However shadowing a work environment would help as well.

Agreed. I find the practice test helpful in determining which area I need to go back and study that I am weak on.

Unfortunately I do not have the ability to shadow a work environment for it - I have experience from my last job as being the only tech (amongst so many other titles) in a not so large business. Other then that, its what experience that I have learned from my peers who are in the trade.