minimum RAM required

gazelle3xgazelle3x Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
whatz the min amt of RAM required to install win2k.
some books say 32mb and some say 64mb, which is the rite answer?

Comments

• hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I see your conflict here...

MS's site states this:
    Minimum Requirements
    Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
    Memory At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.
    Hard Disk 2 GB with 650 MB free space.
    CPU Support Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems.
    Drive CD-ROM or DVD drive.
    Display VGA or higher resolution monitor.
    Keyboard Required.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

Yet the MS Training Kit states 32 MB minimum with 64 or more recommended.

Seems like when I took this test is was 32 MB minimum for Professional with 64 MB being the minimum for Server. Looks like it has been changed to 64 for Professional and 128 for server. Does make you want to go Hhmmmm.....
  • linuxguylinuxguy Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I took mine it was 32 required and 64 recommended. I am puzzled that they changed it.... M$ products are so memory friendly!
    If you do not feel like a newbie you probably should. :)
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Hmm.. My book says 64MB for 5 or fewer clients and 128mb for larger networks.

For Pro it says 32MB min, 64MB recommended.

Gawd
  • robbie156robbie156 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good question Gazelle3x. My book says 32mb 64 recommended but it seems to differ everywhere I look.
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    Well I think its a hard question to ask for a server os. Cause its really dependent on how many clients you have and what not. Somewhere in my book theres a forumla for figuring out how much ram you should have.

Gawd
  • LePhantomLePhantom Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gazelle3x wrote:
    whatz the min amt of RAM required to install win2k.
    some books say 32mb and some say 64mb, which is the rite answer?

Microsoft's Site says 64mb, the book for MS 2152 says 64. Some older books are saying 32, IMHO I'll go with what's in the MS book since if it's different from what they say you'd have a point to challenge
  • RothRoth Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    E ven though my MS W2Kpro self training kit says 32MB min. I thought 64 is the right answer.
  • PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    The MS Press Errata page says

Page XXXVII: Incorrect Amount Of RAM Listed In Hardware Requirements
    On page xxxvii, under "Hardware Requirements," change the 2nd bulleted item from:
    "At least 32 MB RAM (64 MB RAM recommended)"

To:
    "64 MB RAM"

for the early edition W2K Pro book.

I would say 64MB is the correct answer
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    Woah! Good find!
  • xman76xman76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hhisgett wrote:

I believe that when you are studying for a test the two best things you can do are:

1. Do what hhisgett did, check the vendor's website. That is where you can find the most up-to-date information, and that's the one that counts when you are taking the test.

2. Do what PCHoldmann did, always check the errata of the book you are using, since the publisher may already have corrections and you don't want to be studying something and find out the hard way that it was wrong.

Keep it up!
  • robbie156robbie156 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I contacted my training providor today to clear this question up. They say for the purposes of the exam it is 32mb but in the real world we would use 64mb.
  • crabeatercrabeater Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Checking the M$ site would seem the best way - instructors know only if they have investigated it themselves. So - how did he check?

And when you go for XP, they have fudged it already:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

starts talking about 'depends on your system usage'. GREAT icon_eek.gif

Like we don't know already that ANY MS product really need 2-4 times the RAM that they claim as minimum, if you don't want to wait a minute between mouse clicks.
  • jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Heres the correct specs, regardless of what the book says...

Pro 64 mb, 133 mhz, 600-800 mb disk space

The 32 min is to throw you off...that is what is required to run winnt 4.0 .

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

I researched it and I am right!!!
    What next?
  • mark_pizamark_piza Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the exam it is 32MB minimum, and 64MB recommended!

In the real world though, don't even bother with less than 64MB! icon_wink.gif